Question about scintilation detector

• Thread starter Drao92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Detector
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a detector in a project and the calculation of the solid angle in different situations. The formula used for calculating the solid angle is mentioned, as well as the use of a larger radioactive source. The conversation ends with a question about the accuracy of the provided answer and the importance of the solid angle in determining the activity of the source.
Drao92
Hi guys,
I have some questions about this detector.
So i have a project about this detector, i made some experiments, made some graphs, answering to some questions, but one questions is struggling me.
How can we avoid to calculate the solid angle, i mean in what situations?
In my lab documents i have this formula: omega`/4*pi=1/2(1-1/(sqrt(1+b^2/4D^2))
where D is the distance from detector and radioactive source, b is the diametre of circular window of the detector.
However, i used a radioactive source with bigger diametre than b so i must mutiple that formula with 8D^2/d^2(1-1/(sqrt(1+d^2/4D^2)) where d is the diametre of the source
So omega/4*pi=omega`*4pi/the above formula^.
So, this is my answer: When the distance is almost 0, 8D^2/d^2(1-1/(sqrt(1+d^2/4D^2)) becomes 0, so the omega angle is 0.
Its my answer good? Are there more answers ?
Sorry for my english, but its not my first language.
Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The radioactive source is at the center of a make-believe sphere, whose surface area is 4πD2.

The detector window has an area of (π/4)b2.

The ratio of the solid angle of your detector window Ω to the solid angle for the entire sphere 4π is approximately the ratio of the area of your detector window to the surface area of the sphere (assuming b << D):

Ω/(4π) ≈ (b/(4D))2

If I make the same approximation in the formula that you have (assuming that I have understood it correctly), then I get the same result. (I expanded the reciprocal of the square root in Taylor series assuming that b2/(4D2) is small.) I'm not quite sure what you're asking, about the approximation, or why the solid angle is important in the first place.

The solid angle is important because it basically tells you what to multiply your count rate by in order to determine the activity of the source.

Last edited:

Related to Question about scintilation detector

1. What is a scintillation detector?

A scintillation detector is a device used to detect and measure ionizing radiation by converting the energy of the radiation into light. It is made up of a scintillator material that emits light when radiation interacts with it, and a photodetector that converts the light into an electrical signal. This allows for the detection and measurement of different types of radiation, such as gamma rays, X-rays, and alpha and beta particles.

2. How does a scintillation detector work?

A scintillation detector works by first absorbing ionizing radiation, such as gamma rays, in the scintillator material. The absorbed radiation causes the scintillator material to emit light. This light is then detected by the photodetector, which converts it into an electrical signal. The signal is then processed and analyzed to determine the type and amount of radiation that was detected.

3. What are the advantages of using a scintillation detector?

One of the main advantages of using a scintillation detector is its high sensitivity to different types of radiation. It can detect low levels of radiation and can also distinguish between different types of radiation. Additionally, scintillation detectors have a fast response time, allowing for real-time monitoring of radiation levels. They are also compact and portable, making them suitable for use in various settings.

4. What are some common applications of scintillation detectors?

Scintillation detectors have a wide range of applications in the fields of medical imaging, nuclear physics, environmental monitoring, and homeland security. They are commonly used in medical equipment such as PET and CT scanners to image and diagnose diseases. In nuclear physics, scintillation detectors are used to study the properties of different types of radiation. They are also used in radiation monitoring devices for environmental and safety purposes.

5. How do you choose the right scintillation detector for a specific application?

Choosing the right scintillation detector depends on the specific requirements of the application. Factors to consider include the type of radiation to be detected, the energy range of the radiation, the sensitivity and resolution needed, and the environmental conditions in which the detector will be used. It is important to consult with an expert in the field to determine the most suitable scintillation detector for a particular application.