Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Question about significant figures

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1
    I have a question regarding significant figures. I understand the notion well, but am having trouble putting it into practice. My main question is: let's say you divide two numbers of 3 sf each. The result from the calculator is long so you round it to 3 sf. If you need to re-use that result in a later calculation, do you

(a) use the 3 sf rounded figure,
    (b) use the number with one additional sf (so 4 sf even though it won't show on paper), or
    (c) use the exact same number you got from the calculator (containing up to 10 sf, also won't show on paper) ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

c is the most correct approach. b is not bad, although 1 additional digit (called guard digit) is sometimes not enough, 2 or 3 are much better. a is completely wrong.

4. Sep 17, 2010 #3
    Ah OK thanks. Just to make sure, you never actually write the full number used on paper right?

5. Sep 17, 2010 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No, even when you are reporting some intermediate results you should round them down.

Note that significant figures - although worshiped by some - are just an approximate way of dealing with precision. While listing all possible digits doesn't make sense, relying too heavily on significant figures is about as wrong.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook