Question about significant figures

In summary, the best approach when dealing with significant figures is to use the exact number obtained from the calculator, even if it contains more digits than what is typically shown on paper. Rounding down or using a guard digit may not be enough to ensure accuracy. Additionally, it is important to remember that significant figures are just an approximation and should not be relied on too heavily.
return42
I have a question regarding significant figures. I understand the notion well, but am having trouble putting it into practice. My main question is: let's say you divide two numbers of 3 sf each. The result from the calculator is long so you round it to 3 sf. If you need to re-use that result in a later calculation, do you

(a) use the 3 sf rounded figure,
(b) use the number with one additional sf (so 4 sf even though it won't show on paper), or
(c) use the exact same number you got from the calculator (containing up to 10 sf, also won't show on paper) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
c is the most correct approach. b is not bad, although 1 additional digit (called guard digit) is sometimes not enough, 2 or 3 are much better. a is completely wrong.

Ah OK thanks. Just to make sure, you never actually write the full number used on paper right?

No, even when you are reporting some intermediate results you should round them down.

Note that significant figures - although worshiped by some - are just an approximate way of dealing with precision. While listing all possible digits doesn't make sense, relying too heavily on significant figures is about as wrong.

I understand your confusion about significant figures. It is a concept that is often taught but can be challenging to apply in practice. In regards to your question, the answer depends on the specific context and purpose of your calculations.

If your calculations are for a scientific experiment or study where precise measurements are critical, it is best to use the exact result from the calculator (option c). This will ensure the most accurate and precise final answer. However, if your calculations are for general purposes and the extra decimal places are not necessary, it is acceptable to use the rounded result (option a).

Ultimately, the key is to be consistent in your use of significant figures throughout your calculations. If you choose to use the rounded result, make sure to carry that same number of significant figures throughout your subsequent calculations. If you choose to use the exact result, make sure to use the full number of significant figures in all calculations. This will help maintain accuracy and avoid errors in your final answer.

Additionally, it is important to note that significant figures are a way to represent the precision of a measurement, not its accuracy. Therefore, it is important to also consider the limitations and uncertainties of your measurements when using significant figures in calculations.

Overall, the best approach is to carefully consider the purpose and context of your calculations and use significant figures in a consistent and accurate manner. I hope this explanation helps clarify any confusion about significant figures.

Related to Question about significant figures

What are significant figures and why are they important?

Significant figures are the digits in a number that represent the precision of a measurement. They are important because they indicate the accuracy of a measurement and help to avoid rounding errors in calculations.

How do I determine the number of significant figures in a given number?

To determine the number of significant figures, start counting from the first non-zero digit. All non-zero digits are significant. Zeros between non-zero digits are also significant. Zeros at the beginning of a number are not significant, and zeros at the end of a number are only significant if there is a decimal point present.

What rules should I follow when performing calculations with significant figures?

When adding or subtracting, the answer should have the same number of decimal places as the measurement with the fewest decimal places. When multiplying or dividing, the answer should have the same number of significant figures as the measurement with the fewest significant figures.

How do I round a number to the correct number of significant figures?

To round a number to the correct number of significant figures, start by identifying the last significant figure in the number. If the next digit is 5 or greater, round up. If the next digit is 4 or less, round down. Any digits after the desired number of significant figures should be dropped.

Can I use significant figures to determine the accuracy of a measurement?

While significant figures can give an indication of the accuracy of a measurement, they do not provide a precise measure of accuracy. Other factors, such as the precision of the measuring instrument, must also be considered. Significant figures should always be used with caution when determining accuracy.