Calculating Tension in Vines: A 5.0kg Monkey at Rest on Vines A and B

• Thread starter Fire Slayer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, a 5.0-kilogram monkey is hanging from two vines, A and B, with lengths of 10 meters each. The vines are positioned at 30 degrees and 60 degrees above the horizon, respectively. To calculate the tension in the vines, you can use the fact that the sum of the forces must equal to zero. With the given angles, you can find the horizontal and vertical force components and create two equations with two unknowns (tensions). From there, you can isolate and substitute to solve for the tensions.
Fire Slayer
Okay, I got an assignment from my teacher that I'm having trouble starting.

A 5.0-kilogram monkey hangs initially at rest from two vines, A and B. Each of the vines has a length of 10 meters and negligible mass. Vine A is 30 degrees above the horizon in quadrant II, and Vine B is 60 degrees above the horizon in quadrant 1.

I know that the two tensions keep the monkey at rest, so the sum of the forces = 0. But how do I calculate the tension in the vines?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have the angles, you can find the horizontal and vertical force components. Each must add to zero, giving you two equations and two unknowns (the two tensions).

This is essentially the same type of question i asked. You have to isolate tension one from T2 and substitute. I am lost from then on lol

when you say each, do you mean the two horizontal equal zero, and the two vertical equal zero? or each by themselves?

I meant that you'll get two equations:
(1) The sum of the horizontal force components = 0
(2) The sum of the vertical force components = 0

What is tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a medium, such as a rope or cable, when it is pulled tight.

What causes tension?

Tension is caused by a pulling force applied to an object, which leads to a resistance or stretching of the object.

What are some examples of tension in everyday life?

Some examples of tension in everyday life include a stretched rubber band, a tightrope walker balancing on a rope, and a door being pulled open.

How is tension measured?

Tension can be measured in units of force, such as newtons, or in units of mass per unit of length, such as pounds per inch.

What is the difference between tension and compression?

Tension and compression are both types of forces that act on objects in opposite directions. Tension pulls an object apart, while compression pushes an object together.