1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Tension

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1
    Okay, I got an assignment from my teacher that I'm having trouble starting.

A 5.0-kilogram monkey hangs initially at rest from two vines, A and B. Each of the vines has a length of 10 meters and negligible mass. Vine A is 30 degrees above the horizon in quadrant II, and Vine B is 60 degrees above the horizon in quadrant 1.

I know that the two tensions keep the monkey at rest, so the sum of the forces = 0. But how do I calculate the tension in the vines?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Since you have the angles, you can find the horizontal and vertical force components. Each must add to zero, giving you two equations and two unknowns (the two tensions).

4. Oct 9, 2007 #3
    This is essentially the same type of question i asked. You have to isolate tension one from T2 and substitute. Im lost from then on lol

5. Oct 9, 2007 #4
    when you say each, do you mean the two horizontal equal zero, and the two vertical equal zero? or each by themselves?

6. Oct 9, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I meant that you'll get two equations:
    (1) The sum of the horizontal force components = 0
    (2) The sum of the vertical force components = 0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?