Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about the fabric of space

1. May 30, 2012 #1
    Forewarned, i'm super layman.

Anyways, I've been wondering this all day from the thought of liquids needing less heat to boil under less atmosphere. Don't panic, i haven't JUST learned this, it just has provoked a thought.

Is space expanding because of the momentum brought by the big bang, like a balloon being filled up with gas or liquid? Or is it expanding as if you poked a pin in that balloon and the hole grows bigger, from that pin point ,without control.
    Is it possible that matter and space is like pudding on a flat tabletop, you pore it on the table and it will eventually flatten out fully and stagnate in movement.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2012 #2
    Without a deeper understanding and knowledge of cosmology one must be very careful in the use of analogies. You may benefit from reading the balloon analogy sticky in the cosmology forum (the first thread, top of the page).

4. May 30, 2012 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

try this:

www.phinds.com/balloonanalogy

5. May 30, 2012 #4
    Thank you, phinds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook