Question about the fabric of space

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of space expanding due to the momentum of the big bang. The analogy of a balloon being filled with gas or liquid is used, as well as the idea of matter and space acting like pudding on a flat surface. The speaker also mentions the importance of being careful with analogies and suggests reading a resource on the topic.
bawchicawawa
Forewarned, I'm super layman.

Anyways, I've been wondering this all day from the thought of liquids needing less heat to boil under less atmosphere. Don't panic, i haven't JUST learned this, it just has provoked a thought.Is space expanding because of the momentum brought by the big bang, like a balloon being filled up with gas or liquid? Or is it expanding as if you poked a pin in that balloon and the hole grows bigger, from that pin point ,without control.
Is it possible that matter and space is like pudding on a flat tabletop, you pore it on the table and it will eventually flatten out fully and stagnate in movement.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Without a deeper understanding and knowledge of cosmology one must be very careful in the use of analogies. You may benefit from reading the balloon analogy sticky in the cosmology forum (the first thread, top of the page).

bawchicawawa said:
Forewarned, I'm super layman.

Anyways, I've been wondering this all day from the thought of liquids needing less heat to boil under less atmosphere. Don't panic, i haven't JUST learned this, it just has provoked a thought.

Is space expanding because of the momentum brought by the big bang, like a balloon being filled up with gas or liquid? Or is it expanding as if you poked a pin in that balloon and the hole grows bigger, from that pin point ,without control.
Is it possible that matter and space is like pudding on a flat tabletop, you pore it on the table and it will eventually flatten out fully and stagnate in movement.

try this:

www.phinds.com/balloonanalogy

Thank you, phinds.

Thank you for your question! I can say that your analogy of the expanding universe to a balloon being filled with gas or liquid is a good way to think about it. However, there are a few key differences. The expansion of the universe is not caused by a physical force like a balloon being filled, but rather by the expansion of space itself. This expansion is driven by the energy and matter present in the universe, including the energy released during the big bang.

To address your question about the fabric of space, it is important to understand that space is not a physical material like pudding. It is a fundamental aspect of our universe that allows for the movement and interaction of matter and energy. The analogy you mentioned about pudding on a flat table does not accurately represent the behavior of space. Instead, space is constantly expanding and stretching, much like a rubber band being stretched.

As for the expansion of the universe, it is believed that it is happening at an accelerating rate. This means that the expansion is not slowing down, but rather speeding up. This is due to the presence of a mysterious force called dark energy, which makes up about 68% of the universe. This force is causing the expansion to accelerate, rather than slowing it down.

I hope this helps to answer your question about the fabric of space and the expansion of the universe. Keep asking questions and exploring the wonders of our universe!

Related to Question about the fabric of space

1. What is the fabric of space?

The fabric of space, also known as spacetime, is the conceptual model that combines the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time into a single four-dimensional continuum. It is the medium in which all physical events occur.

2. How was the concept of fabric of space developed?

The concept of fabric of space was developed through the theories of relativity proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. These theories suggest that space and time are not separate entities, but rather intertwined and affected by the presence of mass and energy.

3. Can the fabric of space be manipulated?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of general relativity, the fabric of space can be manipulated by massive objects. This is known as the curvature of spacetime, where the presence of mass and energy can cause a distortion in the fabric of space.

4. What role does the fabric of space play in the universe?

The fabric of space plays a crucial role in the universe as it is the medium in which all physical events occur. It is also responsible for the motion of celestial bodies and the effects of gravity.

5. Is there any evidence for the existence of the fabric of space?

Yes, there is strong evidence for the existence of the fabric of space through various experiments and observations. For example, the bending of light by massive objects, the gravitational time dilation, and the detection of gravitational waves all support the concept of spacetime as proposed by Einstein's theories.