What is the path of a particle in a vector field?

In summary, the conversation is about vector fields and how to determine the path or curve of a particle or body moving within a given vector field. There are two possible interpretations of the given vector field, representing either force or velocity. If it represents velocity, it can be solved using a system of differential equations. The simplest method is to differentiate both sides and then solve for the equations of motion.
Horv
Hi all!

I want to ask about vector fields.
So if I had any kind of field for example [itex]\bar{F}(x,y) = (0,x)[/itex] which represents a river or somthing similar and I put into the river a particle, or point-like body how can I get the path, or curve (flwo line?) from the vector field? I mean that path which the particle or the body moves.

Thanks for the answers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What vector field does that represent? The force vector (which would give acceleration) or the velocity vector? If the velocity vector, then it represents the two equations dx/dt= 0 and dy/dt= x. That is a system of differential equations and there are several ways of solving that system.

The simplest way would be to first differentiate both sides of dy/dt= x with respect to t: [itex]d^2y/dt^2= dx/dt= 0[/itex] so that y(t)= At+ B for any constants A and B. And then x(t)= dy/dt= A.

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that represents a vector at every point in space. It can be visualized as arrows with magnitude and direction at different points in a given region.

2. What are some real-life applications of vector fields?

Vector fields have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to describe fluid flow, electromagnetic fields, and motion of objects in space, among others.

3. How are vector fields different from scalar fields?

Scalar fields have a single value at each point in space, while vector fields have both magnitude and direction at each point. Additionally, scalar fields are represented by surfaces or contour plots, while vector fields are represented by arrows or lines.

4. Can vector fields be visualized in three dimensions?

Yes, vector fields can be visualized in three dimensions using techniques such as 3D vector plots or streamlines. These methods can help to better understand the behavior and characteristics of the vector field.

5. How are vector fields calculated?

The calculation of vector fields involves determining the direction and magnitude of the vector at each point in space. This can be done using mathematical equations or through numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element analysis.