• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Question based on using vectors

• Thread starter katuan
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Bjarne, Leif and Sammy are towing their vessel. The forces that they exert are directed along the tow lines, as indicated in Figure 15, which also provides the magnitudes of their forces. ( Note that in Figure 15, the force vectors are not drawn to scale.) What is the resultant force?
005.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

Decompose the vectors into their components (y and x) and add them accordingly. Do you know how to do that?

Could you show me the decomposition method for vectors? Adding after decomposition i should have solid idea on how to. Thank You!

You need to find the magnitude of the forces in the x and y direction. You do this by taking the magnitude given and using sine and cosine of the angle that they're at to find them.

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
Could you show me the decomposition method for vectors? Adding after decomposition i should have solid idea on how to. Thank You!
We are not allowed to help you if you have done no work on the problem yourself. Those are the PF rules.

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
This is a question which does not require the use of calculus to obtain a solution. It is being moved to the Intro Physics HW forum, which is more appropriate.

You must show your own effort, even when you know it is wrong.