Question combined mode radiation and convection ?

In summary, the conversation discusses various topics related to heat transfer, including the use of area 2pi . r^2 for a pipe, the combined modes of conduction and radiation, and the significance of the Stephan-Boltzmann constant. Additionally, the conversation mentions the surface area for a plate and circle, and how to identify radiation as a mode of heat transfer. The value 5.67 X 10 ^ -8 is used for both emissivity and the Stephan-Boltzmann constant.
manal950
274335830.jpg

Here we have question with answer
Could please explain to me the answer of this question ?

and can explain to me why we don't use area 2pi . r^2 because we have pipe ?

and how we can know this combined modes ? I mean conduction and radiation ?

In addtion , As I know s = the stephan-Boltzmann constant 5.6697 x 10-8

why here we used that value for emissivy ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
manal950 said:
274335830.jpg

Here we have question with answer
Could please explain to me the answer of this question ?

The solution is adding the heat losses from each mode (convection and radiation).

and can explain to me why we don't use area 2pi . r^2 because we have pipe ?
You want the surface area of the pipe, not the cross-sectional area.

and how we can know this combined modes ? I mean conduction and radiation ?
There are three possible modes of heat transfer: conduction, convection, and radiation. Heat transfer by conduction doesn't work so well for a gas, it's main method of transport is convection.

thanks but:

1 ) this value 5.67 X 10 ^ -8 for what ? becuse some time we used this for emissivy and some stme for stefan boltoman constant

2 ) Is alwyes in this formula we used surface area of the pipe ?

3 ) what is surface area for plate and cycle ?

4 ) How we know here in this question there is radiation of heat transfer ?

manal950 said:
thanks but:

1 ) this value 5.67 X 10 ^ -8 for what ? becuse some time we used this for emissivy and some stme for stefan boltoman constant
It is Boltzmann's constant. See: Stefan-Boltzmann Law
2 ) Is alwyes in this formula we used surface area of the pipe ?
The surface area of a cylinder is given by the circumference multiplied by the length. The circumference is given by ##2 \pi r## or ##\pi D##, where D is the diameter of the cylinder.
3 ) what is surface area for plate and cycle ?
(Circle?)
Surface for a plate is length x width. That gives the area of one side of the plate.
A circle is the usual ##\pi r^2##

4 ) How we know here in this question there is radiation of heat transfer ?

The obvious hint is that they gave you a value for the emissivity, ε.

thanks so much but you said that is for Boltzmann's constant but here in this quetions we used 5.67 X 10 ^ -8 fro
emissivy ? why ?

yes now I got it ..

thanks so so muck gneill

FAQ: Question combined mode radiation and convection ?

1. What is the difference between radiation and convection?

Radiation and convection are two different modes of heat transfer. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves, while convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids (liquids or gases).

2. How do radiation and convection affect temperature?

Radiation and convection both contribute to the overall temperature of a system. Radiation can cause an increase in temperature when heat is absorbed, while convection can lead to a decrease in temperature as heat is transferred away.

3. Which mode of heat transfer is more efficient?

It depends on the system and the conditions. In some cases, radiation may be more efficient, while in others, convection may be more efficient. For example, in a vacuum, radiation is the only way heat can be transferred, making it the most efficient mode of heat transfer.

4. How does the surface area affect the rate of heat transfer in radiation and convection?

In radiation, the rate of heat transfer is directly proportional to the surface area. In convection, the rate of heat transfer is also affected by surface area, but other factors such as the temperature difference and fluid velocity also play a role.

5. Can radiation and convection occur simultaneously?

Yes, radiation and convection can occur simultaneously. In fact, most heat transfer processes involve a combination of both modes. For example, heat from the sun reaches the Earth through radiation, but convection also plays a role in distributing heat throughout the atmosphere.