Question Concerning F=ma and FBDs.

• Thread starter lawtonfogle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    F=ma
In summary, when using a free-body diagram, the order in which forces are placed in the equation \sum F = ma depends on the chosen positive and negative directions. In the case of acceleration, the order can affect the direction of acceleration but not its magnitude. It is recommended to write both forces in the same direction, either both positive or both negative, or to put the greater force first. The symbol for \sum should be a capital sigma.
lawtonfogle
Ok, I know that, using a FBD, one is susposed to use [tex] \sum F = m a [/tex]
My question is what order do you put the forces that [tex] \sum F [/tex] equal
An example might help me explain my question.
Lets take a block of wood that is supported by a string. The only forces acting on it are [tex] mg [/tex] and [tex] T [/tex]
So...
[tex] \sum F = ma [/tex]
[tex] T - mg = ma [/tex]
or
[tex] mg - T = ma [/tex].
I know if [tex] a = 0 [/tex] it does not matter, but how does one decide what order to put th forces in when there is acleration?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The [tex] \sigma [/tex] should be a capital sigma.I fixed it.

Last edited:
It depends on how you choose the positive and negative directions.
T - mg = ma1, you've chosen the positive direction upwards.
mg - T = ma2, you've chosen the positive direction downwards.

T - mg = ma1 = -(mg - T) = -ma2

In the case that mg is greater than T, the acceleration's negative when you've chosed the positive direction upwards, and positive when you've chosen the positive direction downwards. The magnitude does not change.

So on an Atwood machine, I should chose it so that both masses are the same way written (both T - mg, or vice versa), or so that the greater force is first.

1. What is F=ma and why is it important in science?

F=ma is a formula that represents Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This formula is important in science because it helps us understand the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, and it allows us to make predictions and calculations about the motion of objects.

2. What is a free body diagram (FBD) and how do you create one?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object. To create one, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object, including gravity, normal force, friction, and any external forces. Then, draw a dot to represent the object and draw arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of each force.

3. How do F=ma and FBDs relate to each other?

F=ma and FBDs are closely related because F=ma is used to calculate the net force acting on an object, and FBDs show all the individual forces acting on an object. By using F=ma and FBDs together, we can determine the net force acting on an object and use that information to understand and predict its motion.

4. Can you give an example of how F=ma and FBDs can be applied in real life?

One example is when a car is accelerating on a flat road. The forces acting on the car include the engine force, friction force from the wheels, and air resistance. By creating an FBD for the car, we can see how these forces interact and use F=ma to calculate the acceleration of the car.

5. Are there any limitations to using F=ma and FBDs?

Yes, there are limitations to using F=ma and FBDs. F=ma assumes that the mass of an object is constant, which may not always be the case. Additionally, FBDs only show the forces acting on an object at a specific moment in time and do not take into account any changes in the forces over time. It is important to consider these limitations when using these concepts to analyze motion.