Question on beamsplitter when light is backward-incident

• Thread starter swengzju
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation is discussing the function and properties of a plate beamsplitter and the possibility of one-way transmission. The question is whether the beamsplitter, which normally has a dielectric coating on one side and an anti-reflective coating on the other, would behave differently if light is incident inversely. However, it is noted that one-way transmission is not possible due to the laws of thermodynamics. The conversation also mentions the use of dielectric beamsplitters at non-nominal angles and provides a resource for further information on optical properties.
swengzju
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and not sure if this is the right place to post this question.

I know that beamsplitters normally have dielectric coating on one side and AR coating on the other side. I'm looking at this plate beamsplitter specifically: https://www.thorlabs.com/NewGroupPage9.cfm?ObjectGroup_ID=4808

I want to know what would happen if light is incident inversely, eg, it hits AR coating first then the dielectric coating. Will I get part of the light going downwards and the rest going through the beamsplitter?

Basically I'm looking for a beamsplitter that only allows on-way transmission.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Science news on Phys.org
One-way transmission violates the second law of thermodynamics, it would allow to reduce entropy. I don't know how this beamsplitter would behave, but there is no one-way-transmission (neglecting exotic non-linear effects that are not relevant here).

It will work the same both ways around. There are no one-way mirrors.

Related to Question on beamsplitter when light is backward-incident

1. How does a beamsplitter work when light is backward-incident?

When light is backward-incident on a beamsplitter, it will reflect off the beamsplitter at an angle determined by the beamsplitter coating. This angle is typically 50/50, meaning half of the light will be transmitted and half will be reflected.

2. What is the purpose of using a beamsplitter with backward-incident light?

A beamsplitter is commonly used with backward-incident light to split the light into two beams. This allows for simultaneous imaging and measuring of the same sample, or for combining two light sources for specific applications.

3. Can any type of light be used for backward-incident beamsplitting?

The type of light used for backward-incident beamsplitting depends on the material and coating of the beamsplitter. Most beamsplitters are designed for use with visible light, but there are specialized beamsplitters that can be used with ultraviolet, infrared, and other wavelengths.

4. What factors affect the performance of a beamsplitter with backward-incident light?

The performance of a beamsplitter with backward-incident light can be affected by several factors, including the angle of incidence, the type of coating on the beamsplitter, and the quality of the beamsplitter's surface. It is important to choose a beamsplitter with the appropriate specifications for your specific application.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a beamsplitter with backward-incident light?

One potential drawback of using a beamsplitter with backward-incident light is that it can introduce interference patterns or artifacts in the captured image. This can be mitigated by using high-quality beamsplitters and carefully aligning the light source and beamsplitter. Additionally, beamsplitters can also reduce the intensity of the light, so it is important to choose a beamsplitter with the appropriate level of transmission for your experiment.