Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on beamsplitter when light is backward-incident

1. Sep 26, 2015 #1
    Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and not sure if this is the right place to post this question.

I know that beamsplitters normally have dielectric coating on one side and AR coating on the other side. I'm looking at this plate beamsplitter specifically: https://www.thorlabs.com/NewGroupPage9.cfm?ObjectGroup_ID=4808

I want to know what would happen if light is incident inversely, eg, it hits AR coating first then the dielectric coating. Will I get part of the light going downwards and the rest going through the beamsplitter?

Basically I'm looking for a beamsplitter that only allows on-way transmission.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

One-way transmission violates the second law of thermodynamics, it would allow to reduce entropy. I don't know how this beamsplitter would behave, but there is no one-way-transmission (neglecting exotic non-linear effects that are not relevant here).

4. Sep 27, 2015 #3

Daz

Gold Member

It will work the same both ways around. There are no one-way mirrors.

5. Sep 28, 2015 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook