Question on conservative and non-conservative nature of electric fields.

In summary: Thanks for the question. According to one of the texts I read, the electric field can be conservative or non-conservative. It doesn't specifically say that electrostatic fields are conservative. So I am wondering if the electric field induced due to changing magnetic flux is different that the electrostatic field due to stationary charges.
ovais
Hi all :)

I am about to finish the chapter of electromagnetic induction in my class. And I taught my students that the electric field induced due to changing magnetic flux is different that the electrostatic field due to stationary charges(Now I am wondering would it be wrong if I used the world electric field instead of electrostatic field, need this clarification also). One of my text says electric field can be conservative and non-conservative it does not especifically says electrostatic fields are conservative. So can I think electric field(not just electrostatic field) can be conservative and non-conservative?

Well as electromagnetic induction chapter is about to finish, I want to connect electricity and magnetic in the way they are. So I am studying this area and I found Maxwell's equations are doing this job.

The problem: I connect a wire loop to a battery. Their must be electric field set up within the wire, right? This electric field will apply force on each of the charge particle, Right? The free charge particles do move due to the force of the field, Right?
What is the direction of this force with respect to the instantaneous velocity of the charge?
Will their be any work done by the field on the charge during complete loop in the wire and inside the battery?

Finally what can I say about the conservative and non-conservative nature of the electric field that is set up in the wire loop?

Thanks a bunch.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ovais said:
Hi all :)

I am about to finish the chapter of electromagnetic induction in my class. And I taught my students that the electric field induced due to changing magnetic flux is different that the electrostatic field due to stationary charges(Now I am wondering would it be wrong if I used the world electric field instead of electrostatic field, need this clarification also). One of my text says electric field can be conservative and non-conservative it does not especifically says electrostatic fields are conservative. So can I think electric field(not just electrostatic field) can be conservative and non-conservative?

Well as electromagnetic induction chapter is about to finish, I want to connect electricity and magnetic in the way they are. So I am studying this area and I found Maxwell's equations are doing this job.

The problem: I connect a wire loop to a battery. Their must be electric field set up within the wire, right? This electric field will apply force on each of the charge particle, Right? The free charge particles do move due to the force of the field, Right?
What is the direction of this force with respect to the instantaneous velocity of the charge?
Will their be any work done by the field on the charge during complete loop in the wire and inside the battery?

Finally what can I say about the conservative and non-conservative nature of the electric field that is set up in the wire loop?

Thanks a bunch.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

The electric field due to stationary charges is called electrostatic field. It is independent of time. This field is conservative. This means that if a charge is taken round on any closed path, the work done by the electric field is zero.
A time-dependent electric field (not called electrostatic) is non-conservative. This means that the work done by the field on a charge taken around a closed path is not zero.
Maxwell's equations completely determine all cases of electric and magnetic fields, including conservative fields.
If you connect a wire loop to a battery, the battery sets up an electric field in the wire. The electric field does work on the charge. Inside the battery, the battery provides the energy to push the (negative) charges at the positive terminal (low potential energy) to the negative terminal (high potential energy).
The instantaneous velocity of individual charges in the wire is randomly directed. The electric field superposes a drift velocity on top of the random velocity. This is discussed by the Drude model of conductivity, which is described in introductory textbooks on electricity & magnetism.

Thanks for the reply Chandra. Your whole answer is good exactly upon the issue and I like it very much when you say,
Chandra Prayaga said:
Maxwell's equations completely determine all cases of electric and magnetic fields, including conservative fields.

But most of the things you said, are already in my head(my way of presenting my question is somewhat saggy). You however remind one thing very good when state about the instantaneous velocity of charge particles

Chandra Prayaga said:
The instantaneous velocity of individual charges in the wire is randomly directed. The electric field superposes a drift velocity on top of the random velocity. This is discussed by the Drude model of conductivity, which is described in introductory textbooks on electricity & magnetism
But I feel my main question is still remains unanswered, that what can I say about the field that sets up in the wire loop when its connected to a batter? Conservative or Non-conservative?

You said work is done by the field it making the changes move so, should I say this field is non-conservative?
It doesn't appear time varying but is not electrostatic at the same time.

Thanks a bunch :)

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between conservative and non-conservative electric fields?

The main difference between conservative and non-conservative electric fields lies in the path independence of work done by the field. In a conservative field, the work done on a charge moving from one point to another is independent of the path taken. However, in a non-conservative field, the work done depends on the path taken.

2. How do you determine if an electric field is conservative or non-conservative?

To determine if an electric field is conservative or non-conservative, one must calculate the work done by the field along two different paths between the same two points. If the work done is the same for both paths, the field is conservative. If the work done is different, the field is non-conservative.

3. What are some examples of conservative and non-conservative electric fields?

An example of a conservative electric field is an electric field produced by a static charge, as the work done by the field is independent of the path taken. An example of a non-conservative field is an electric field produced by a changing magnetic field, as the work done depends on the path taken.

4. How does the concept of potential energy relate to conservative and non-conservative electric fields?

In conservative fields, the work done is related to the change in potential energy of the system. This means that in a conservative electric field, the potential energy of a charge does not depend on the path taken. In contrast, in non-conservative fields, the potential energy of a charge can vary depending on the path taken.

5. Can an electric field be both conservative and non-conservative?

No, an electric field cannot be both conservative and non-conservative at the same time. This is because the two concepts are mutually exclusive - a field can either be path-independent or not. However, in some cases, a field may be approximately conservative in certain regions and non-conservative in others, such as in the presence of varying magnetic fields.