Question on finding force needed to compress system

In summary, the operator must exert a force of 5.050*8 = 40.4 lbf (180 N) in order to compress the spring in the system. This is far too high and should not be exceeded.
TokerM
I have attached a pdf file showing the calculation in question.

The 2 views in the pdf are section in the same line. When the operator presses the thumb lever, the pivot shaft rotates the pusher lever which in turn rotates the tooling.

The tooling is forced open via the compression spring.

My question is, how much force will the operator need to exert to compress the system, and does anyone know if/what OSHA has to say on how much a human thumb can/should push?

Thanks in advance, and if any further dimensions/info is needed, let me know, I hope I gave way more info than needed to calculate this.

Edit: For ease in calculations, assume 0 friction and ignore the mass of the levers and tooling adding to the gravitational torque of the system.

Attachments

• torque force.pdf
    16.8 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
95 views and nobody knows how to set up this calculation?

TokerM said:
If any further dimensions/info is needed, let me know.
TokerM: We currently cannot relate the right-hand diagram to the left-hand diagram, except for the second linkage bar (the pusher lever), which I recognize in both diagrams. Therefore, we currently cannot understand the mechanism, due to insufficient data. And the third linkage bar (the tooling) image is cut off, and seemingly does not show all of its boundary conditions; as currently drawn, it would just rotate on its pivot, without compressing the spring. You also do not show how the thumb lever linkage bar is connected to the pusher lever linkage bar, nor how the pusher lever linkage bar is connected to the tooling linkage bar.

One view is to be superimposed over the other. The thumb lever, and pusher lever are fixed to the same shaft. In plan view, the pusher lever is "L" shaped to "hook" on the tooling.

The tooling is similar to a ladder runglock. Due to NDAs, that's all I can say.

I'm really only looking for the final pushing force this system creates, not the detailed attachments of the mechanism. That part is good. This is one of those "works on paper" ideas.

I am getting confused by how to set up the torque calculation.

Push the thumb lever, it rotates the shaft 8 deg. The center of the thumb pad is 2.13" away from the CL of the pivot shaft.

Rotating the shaft 8 deg rotates the pusher lever which, due to the L shape, pushes on the tooling face. By pushing through the 8 deg, the length of travel on the tooling is 0.82" along the arc. This action causes the tooling to rotate on a separate shaft, in the position shown.

In order for the tooling to rotate clear of obstructions, it must be rotated 15 deg.

With the spring that has been selected, in the position shown, there is 8 lbs of force needed to compress the spring the 15 deg. The pusher lever is pressing against the tooling at a position 3.09" from the tooling CL.

I'm attaching a dwg view of everything overlapped, you'll see why I broke things into 2 sections, the pic is a bit busy!

Thanks again.

Attachments

• assy.pdf
    15.9 KB · Views: 300
TokerM: P1 = [6.00*5.54/(2.13*3.09)](8 lbf) = 5.050*8 = 40.4 lbf (180 N), where P1 = required force exerted on thumb lever by operator thumb.

I did not look for an OSHA limit. However, P1 = 180 N is far too high. Even 90 N is rather painful. And 110 N is quite painful. Therefore, you should not exceed roughly 60 % of the rather painful value; i.e., do not exceed P1 = 55 N. Or preferably, do not exceed P1 = 50 N (or even better, 45 N).

Last edited:
That's what I was afraid of... As the old adage goes... "Back to the board!"

Thank you for helping with the calc. From that I can find a workable setup.

What does it mean to find the force needed to compress a system?

When we talk about finding the force needed to compress a system, we are referring to the amount of external force required to decrease the volume or increase the density of a system. This is often studied in the field of physics and engineering, and can be applied to various systems such as gases, liquids, and solids.

How is the force needed to compress a system calculated?

The force needed to compress a system is typically calculated using the formula F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement. This formula is known as Hooke's Law and is commonly used to determine the relationship between force and displacement in a compressed system.

What factors affect the force needed to compress a system?

There are several factors that can affect the force needed to compress a system. Some of these include the material properties of the system, such as its elasticity and rigidity, the size and shape of the system, and the amount of pressure or force already applied to the system. Additionally, temperature and external environmental factors can also impact the force needed to compress a system.

What are some real-world applications of finding the force needed to compress a system?

The concept of finding the force needed to compress a system has numerous real-world applications. For example, it is used in the design and engineering of buildings, bridges, and other structures to ensure they can withstand external forces without collapsing. It is also important in the study of materials and their properties, as well as in the development of technology and machinery that rely on compression.

What are some potential challenges or limitations when trying to find the force needed to compress a system?

One of the main challenges when finding the force needed to compress a system is accurately measuring and accounting for all the different factors that can affect the system. This includes variables such as temperature, pressure, and external forces. Additionally, different materials and systems may have unique properties that can make it difficult to apply a universal formula or equation for calculating the force needed to compress them.