Is a 'Light-Boom' Possible at the Speed of Light?

In summary: No, cerenkov radiation is different because it is a type of light that is emitted when an object travels faster than the speed of light. This cannot happen with a spaceship travelling at the speed of light.
matthewfullhart
ok, so I'm sitting in class one day, and my physics teacher is talking about light... and since we had just finished up a section on sound, I was wondering whether there is such an effect as a "light-boom"

that is to say, if we were to have a spaceship that could go exactly at the speed of light, and we attached a flashlight to the front of the ship, could we not cause the buildup of light rays much the same as we can with sound and airplanes? if so, couldn't we make a gigantic weapon with this? let's say that there's life on a planet near alpha centauri, and we go to war with them... couldn't we just send out a ship with a big flashlight on the front, cause the buildup of light particles over the span of 4.3 years, and then decelerate just before hitting the planet? 4.3 years of light would definitely do some amount of damage to their planet, even if it's just blinding everyone on the surface...

I asked my teacher this, and he said something to the effect of "no, because of time dialation." I realize his point, but that makes me wonder how the red shift works, if this doesn't...

sorry if I confused anyone, and if anyone knows why this can/can't occur, could you please do so? it's been bugging me.

Physics news on Phys.org
matthewfullhart said:
ok, so I'm sitting in class one day, and my physics teacher is talking about light... and since we had just finished up a section on sound, I was wondering whether there is such an effect as a "light-boom"

that is to say, if we were to have a spaceship that could go exactly at the speed of light, and we attached a flashlight to the front of the ship, could we not cause the buildup of light rays much the same as we can with sound and airplanes? if so, couldn't we make a gigantic weapon with this? let's say that there's life on a planet near alpha centauri, and we go to war with them... couldn't we just send out a ship with a big flashlight on the front, cause the buildup of light particles over the span of 4.3 years, and then decelerate just before hitting the planet? 4.3 years of light would definitely do some amount of damage to their planet, even if it's just blinding everyone on the surface...

I asked my teacher this, and he said something to the effect of "no, because of time dialation." I realize his point, but that makes me wonder how the red shift works, if this doesn't...

sorry if I confused anyone, and if anyone knows why this can/can't occur, could you please do so? it's been bugging me.

The teacher is correct, this cannot happen. The speed of light is the same for all observers, so there is no possibility of a 'light-boom'.

This concept is explained here: http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/einsteinlight/jw/module3_weird_logic.htm

It also mentions time dilation, since that is how both observers measure the speed to be the same.

What about cerenkov radiation? Isn't that somewhat comparable to a "light boom" ?

Related to Is a 'Light-Boom' Possible at the Speed of Light?

1) What are light waves?

Light waves are a form of electromagnetic radiation that can be seen by the human eye. They are made up of oscillating electric and magnetic fields that travel through space at the speed of light.

2) How do light waves travel?

Light waves travel in a straight line, known as a ray, until they interact with an object or surface. They can also travel through certain materials, such as air, water, and glass, but their speed and direction may change.

3) What is the difference between visible light and other types of light waves?

Visible light is just one small portion of the entire electromagnetic spectrum, which includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. Visible light has a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than other types of light waves.

4) How does color relate to light waves?

Color is determined by the wavelength of a light wave. The shorter the wavelength, the more blue or violet the color appears, while longer wavelengths are seen as red or orange. White light is a combination of all visible light wavelengths, while black is the absence of visible light.

5) Can light waves be harmful?

While visible light is generally harmless, other types of light waves, such as ultraviolet radiation and X-rays, can be harmful to humans in large doses. It is important to protect oneself from prolonged exposure to these types of light waves.