• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Question on pressure

• Thread starter csnsc14320
  • Start date
This is just a question I have been wondering about.

From what I understand, the pressure of a liquid, no matter the shape of the container, is dependent only on height.

So, the scenario I am wondering, is:

Say I can breath underwater, and I seal myself up into a tank of ~100 gallons, so that I can fit into it (keep in mind, completely sealed, no air gaps). Now, someone cuts a tiny hole on top, say the size of a straw, and attaches a 30 foot tall straw that won't break to the hole. If they now fill that straw up all the way, will I feel like I am under 30 additional feet of water?

And, if so, would the same scenario hold similar results?

I seal myself up into an Olympic sized swimming pool. I float on the far right ride, but someone cuts a hole and adds a 100 foot straw to the left side and fills it. Do I really feel an additional 100 feet of pressure on the other side of the pool again?

Thanks

Answers and Replies

it is aptly correct that if proper vacuum is obtained and a straw of large length is filled with water then you would feel immense pressure just because of the height of the water column and the atmospheric pressure above it.it sounds a bit weird to the new learners but few experiments on variation of pressure of liquid with height confirm it.if you request further i would be able to give u list of some experiments and procedures of carrying out them in your home.

it is aptly correct that if proper vacuum is obtained and a straw of large length is filled with water then you would feel immense pressure just because of the height of the water column and the atmospheric pressure above it.it sounds a bit weird to the new learners but few experiments on variation of pressure of liquid with height confirm it.if you request further i would be able to give u list of some experiments and procedures of carrying out them in your home.
yeah, if you could, i think some of those experiments would be nice/fun :)

thanks for the answer and the verification