Pressure in Liquid: Question on Height Dependency

• Thread starter csnsc14320
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, if you seal yourself up in a container of liquid and add a straw to a hole in the top, you would feel the pressure of the liquid even if you are on the other side of the container.
csnsc14320
This is just a question I have been wondering about.

From what I understand, the pressure of a liquid, no matter the shape of the container, is dependent only on height.

So, the scenario I am wondering, is:

Say I can breath underwater, and I seal myself up into a tank of ~100 gallons, so that I can fit into it (keep in mind, completely sealed, no air gaps). Now, someone cuts a tiny hole on top, say the size of a straw, and attaches a 30 foot tall straw that won't break to the hole. If they now fill that straw up all the way, will I feel like I am under 30 additional feet of water?

And, if so, would the same scenario hold similar results?

I seal myself up into an Olympic sized swimming pool. I float on the far right ride, but someone cuts a hole and adds a 100 foot straw to the left side and fills it. Do I really feel an additional 100 feet of pressure on the other side of the pool again?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
it is aptly correct that if proper vacuum is obtained and a straw of large length is filled with water then you would feel immense pressure just because of the height of the water column and the atmospheric pressure above it.it sounds a bit weird to the new learners but few experiments on variation of pressure of liquid with height confirm it.if you request further i would be able to give u list of some experiments and procedures of carrying out them in your home.

spiffing_abhijit said:
it is aptly correct that if proper vacuum is obtained and a straw of large length is filled with water then you would feel immense pressure just because of the height of the water column and the atmospheric pressure above it.it sounds a bit weird to the new learners but few experiments on variation of pressure of liquid with height confirm it.if you request further i would be able to give u list of some experiments and procedures of carrying out them in your home.

yeah, if you could, i think some of those experiments would be nice/fun :)

thanks for the answer and the verification

1. What is the relationship between pressure and height in a liquid?

The pressure in a liquid is directly proportional to its height. This means that as the height of a liquid increases, so does its pressure.

2. Why does pressure increase with depth in a liquid?

As the depth of a liquid increases, the weight of the liquid above also increases. This increased weight exerts a greater force on the liquid below, resulting in an increase in pressure.

3. How is the pressure at the bottom of a liquid column affected by the density of the liquid?

The pressure at the bottom of a liquid column is directly proportional to the density of the liquid. This means that a liquid with a higher density will have a greater pressure at its bottom compared to a liquid with a lower density.

4. Does the shape of a container affect the pressure at the bottom of a liquid column?

Yes, the shape of a container does affect the pressure at the bottom of a liquid column. The pressure at the bottom is determined by the weight of the liquid above, so a wider or taller container will have a greater pressure at the bottom compared to a smaller or shorter container.

5. How does the pressure in a liquid change when the liquid is heated or cooled?

The pressure in a liquid is affected by changes in temperature. When a liquid is heated, its particles move faster and take up more space, causing an increase in pressure. On the other hand, when a liquid is cooled, its particles move slower and take up less space, resulting in a decrease in pressure.