1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on pressure

1. Apr 27, 2009 #1
    This is just a question I have been wondering about.

From what I understand, the pressure of a liquid, no matter the shape of the container, is dependent only on height.

So, the scenario I am wondering, is:

Say I can breath underwater, and I seal myself up into a tank of ~100 gallons, so that I can fit into it (keep in mind, completely sealed, no air gaps). Now, someone cuts a tiny hole on top, say the size of a straw, and attaches a 30 foot tall straw that won't break to the hole. If they now fill that straw up all the way, will I feel like I am under 30 additional feet of water?

And, if so, would the same scenario hold similar results?

I seal myself up into an Olympic sized swimming pool. I float on the far right ride, but someone cuts a hole and adds a 100 foot straw to the left side and fills it. Do I really feel an additional 100 feet of pressure on the other side of the pool again?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2009 #2
    it is aptly correct that if proper vacuum is obtained and a straw of large length is filled with water then you would feel immense pressure just because of the height of the water column and the atmospheric pressure above it.it sounds a bit weird to the new learners but few experiments on variation of pressure of liquid with height confirm it.if you request further i would be able to give u list of some experiments and procedures of carrying out them in your home.

4. Apr 27, 2009 #3
    yeah, if you could, i think some of those experiments would be nice/fun :)

thanks for the answer and the verification

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook