Question on Rep. John Boehner.

• News
  • Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses the pronunciation of a politician's name, Boehner, and the comedic opportunity it presents. The correct pronunciation is "Bay-ner" and it is suggested that names are often mispronounced. The conversation also mentions a personal example of a family name being split into two groups with different pronunciations. It is noted that names can be butchered and the true pronunciation of Boehner may be unknown.
wasteofo2
I don't know anything about this guy, besides the fact that he's trying to become the Republican leader in the house, and that he's from Ohio. But at this point, I don't really care too much about the guy's politics or whatever.

However, I've only ever read about the guy, I've never heard anyone say his name. So the question arises; is his name pronounced "bonner," or "boner," as in an erection?

Thanks,
Jacob

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is c - None of the above.

It's pronounced "Bay-ner".

BobG said:
The answer is c - None of the above.
It's pronounced "Bay-ner".
BOLLOCKS!

This is proof to me that God doesn't exist. If He did, then this comedic opportunity would've been realized!

wasteofo2 said:
BOLLOCKS!
This is proof to me that God doesn't exist. If He did, then this comedic opportunity would've been realized!
Well, we do only have his word on the pronunciation. :rofl:

One branch of my ancestors had to make a difficult choice about their family name when they came to the US. As a result, they split into two different groups - the bunch that wanted their name spelt correctly as Jepsen and the bunch that wanted their name pronounced correctly as Yepsen. It wasn't quite a clean break, which provided an interesting challenge when I was tracing my family tree.

You did know that Buffalo (the city name, not the animal) is French for "beautiful river", didn't you? Names get butchered all the time, so who knows how Boehner is really supposed to be pronounced.

1. Who is Rep. John Boehner?

Rep. John Boehner is a Republican politician who served as the 61st Speaker of the United States House of Representatives from 2011 to 2015. He represented Ohio's 8th congressional district for 25 years before retiring from politics in 2015.

2. What is Rep. John Boehner known for?

Rep. John Boehner is known for his leadership in the Republican party and his role as Speaker of the House during the Obama administration. He is also known for his conservative views on issues such as taxes, healthcare, and immigration.

3. What committees did Rep. John Boehner serve on?

During his time in Congress, Rep. John Boehner served on several committees including the Committee on Education and the Workforce, the Committee on Agriculture, and the Committee on Armed Services. He also served as Chairman of the House Committee on Education and the Workforce from 2001 to 2006.

4. What is Rep. John Boehner's stance on healthcare?

Rep. John Boehner has been a vocal opponent of the Affordable Care Act (also known as Obamacare) and has repeatedly voted to repeal the healthcare law. He has also been a proponent of free-market healthcare solutions and has criticized government involvement in healthcare.

5. What is Rep. John Boehner doing now?

After retiring from Congress in 2015, Rep. John Boehner joined several corporate boards and became a lobbyist for various companies and organizations. He also wrote a book about his time in politics titled "On the House: A Washington Memoir."