Why Does a Rocket's Momentum Remain Unchanged but Its Kinetic Energy Increases?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of momentum and kinetic energy in relation to a rocket exploding in mid-air. The question is raised about why the rocket's momentum remains unchanged while its kinetic energy increases. Different theories are proposed, with one mentioning the role of air resistance in the increase of kinetic energy. The conversation also touches on the concept of conservation of momentum and how it applies to the rocket explosion. Ultimately, the participants come to the conclusion that the center of gravity of the system remains stationary, resulting in the total momentum remaining unchanged.
liquidblot
hi guys!~ i was going through my test papers and found a question that i don't understand >_<

when a rocket is shot upwards and at the point where it stops in the air, it explodes...

so why does its momentum remain unchanged but the kinetic energy is increased??

~by the way, the answer that i came up wif was that its momentum and kinetic energy increases, because the formula for momentum and kinetic energy both has mass and velocity in it, so what i tot was that both would have to increase together or remain unchanged together ==''

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the rocket's energy and momentum increases ,when some small part of it turns to heat and gives impulse.

In your imagination, try to trace the path fo the rocket's center og gravity wen it is exploding. That might yield some useful insight.

its weird, because the answer i got from my teacher was that the total momentum was unchanged while the total kinetic energy had increased.

i can see how the total kinetic energy increased, but why does the total momentum remain unchanged? or is my teacher actually saying the wrong answer :( ?

@LURCH
the center of gravity would be in the middle wouldn't it? and then the explosion would cause all the pieces to fly in every degree of a sphere, am i right?

Last edited:
It's fundamental law of nature.Total momentum of rocket when it stops is zero.If it explodes,all the pieces fly in a such direction that total momentum remains zero.Momentum depends on direction,because it's vector quantity.

azatkgz said:
I think the rocket's energy and momentum increases ,when some small part of it turns to heat and gives impulse.

liquidblot said:
its weird, because the answer i got from my teacher was that the total momentum was unchanged while the total kinetic energy had increased.

i can see how the total kinetic energy increased, but why does the total momentum remain unchanged? or is my teacher actually saying the wrong answer :( ?

@LURCH
the center of gravity would be in the middle wouldn't it? and then the explosion would cause all the pieces to fly in every degree of a sphere, am i right?
Your teacher is assuming no air resistance while azatkgz's "some small part of it turns to heat" is assuming air resistance. Because the explosion is "internal" (in the sense of not a force imposed from outside), total momentum of the rocket (or parts of the rocket!) is conserved. Total kinetic energy is not conserved because chemical energy is changed to kinetic energy.

liquidblot said:
@LURCH
Exactly; the pieces fly (kinetic energy), but they fly in every direction equally, so the center of mass remains statinary, so net momentum of the total system = 0.

ohh~ thanks a lot for helping~ i learned a lot =D

1. What causes a rocket explosion?

Rocket explosions can be caused by a variety of factors, including technical malfunctions, human error, and external factors like weather or debris. The exact cause of a rocket explosion can only be determined through a thorough investigation.

2. How often do rocket explosions occur?

Rocket explosions are rare occurrences, with only a small percentage of launches resulting in an explosion. However, even with advanced technology and safety measures, accidents can still happen.

3. What are the potential dangers of a rocket explosion?

A rocket explosion can pose a significant danger to nearby structures, as well as the environment. Depending on the type of rocket and materials involved, there may also be health risks from toxic chemicals or radiation.

4. What measures are taken to prevent rocket explosions?

Extensive testing and safety protocols are in place to prevent rocket explosions. Rockets undergo rigorous inspections and undergo simulations before launch. Additionally, safety features such as emergency shutdown systems and escape mechanisms are built into rockets.

5. How are rocket explosions investigated?

When a rocket explosion occurs, a thorough investigation is conducted to determine the cause. This may involve analyzing data and debris, as well as conducting interviews and examining equipment. The goal is to identify any issues and make necessary improvements for future launches.