1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on surface integral of curl

1. Oct 1, 2007 #1

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let F be [tex]F = ( x^2 z^2 ) i + (sin xyz) j + (e^x z) k.[/tex][tex]Find \int\int \nabla \times F \cdot n dS[/tex]

where the region E is above the cone [tex]z^2 = x^2 + y^2[/tex] and inside the sphere centered at (0,0,1) and with radius 1. (so it is [tex]x^2 + y^2 + (z-1)^2 = 1).[/tex]. I know that they intersect at z = 1, z = 0. So the boundary is at z = 1.

2. Relevant equations
    So I know that I can apply Stokes Theorem here or evaluate the surface integral directly.

If I try Stokes Theorem, I apply it to the boundary [tex]x^2 + y^2 + (z-1)^2 = 1[/tex], which can be parametrized by [tex]r(\theta) = cos(\theta) i + sin(\theta) j + k, r'(\theta) = -sin(\theta) i + cos(\theta) j + 0 k[/tex]

But when I try [tex]F(r(\theta)) \cdot r'(\theta)[/tex], I get [tex]\int_0^{2 \pi} -sin(\theta) cos(\theta)^2 + cos(\theta) sin( cos(\theta) sin(\theta)). [/tex]. Which is pretty much impossible to evaluate, since I never heard of integrating a sine function within a sine function

as for trying to evaluate the surface integral directly... I get the cross product which is...

[tex]\nabla \times [tex]F[/tex][tex] = (-x y cos(xyz))i + (2x^2 z - e^x z)j + (y z cos(xyz) k).[/tex]

(it should read \nabla \times F but my edit doesn't change the tex...)

So I try to evaluate the surface integral through the northern hemisphere. Of [tex]x^2 + y^2 + (z-1)^2 = 1)[/tex], I get...

[tex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial x} = 2x, \frac{\partial g}{\partial y} = 2y[/tex]

[tex]P \frac{\partial g}{\partial x}- Q \frac{\partial g}{\partial y} + R[/tex]
    [tex]= 2x xy cos(xyz) - 2y 2x^2 z + 2y e^y z + yz cos(xyz)[/tex]... which is like totally impossible to evaluate with a surface integral.

So what am I doing wrong?
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2007 #2

Gold Member

Another question incidental to this:

div (curl) F = 0. But yet, Stokes Theorem applies to a vector function. Is there any fundamental difference between [tex]\int\int \nabla \times F \cdot dS[/tex] and [tex]\int\int F \cdot dS[/tex] when both are vector functions? Yet, the divergence theorem applies to the second one, when [tex]\int\int F \cdot dS = \int\int\int div F dV[/tex]. If there is no fundamental difference between [tex]\nabla \times F \cdot dS[/tex] and [tex]F \cdot dS[/tex], then why does the divergence theorem work for the latter but not the former? If it works for the former, then [tex]\int\int \nabla \times F \cdot dS = \int\int\int div \nabla \times F = 0[/tex] (but this is clearly not the case, otherwise Stokes' Theorem would be useless. Can anyone please clarify the issue to me? Thanks
  4. Oct 3, 2007 #3

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?