Question on Temperature/Kinetic Theory in AP Physics B

In summary, a cubic box with a volume of 3.9*10^-2 meters cubed is filled with air at atmospheric pressure at 20 degrees C. When heated to 180 degrees C, the net force on each side of the box can be calculated by finding the pressure difference between the inside and outside of the box and multiplying it by the area of one side. This results in a net force of 6400N.
xopenx

Homework Statement

A Cubic Box of volume 3.9*10^-2 meters cubed is filled with air at atmospheric pressure at 20 degrees C. The box is closed and heated to 180 degrees C. What is the net force on each side of the box?

atmospheric pressure = 1 atm or 1.0*10^5 N/msquared

Homework Equations

Temperature K = C +273
P/T = P/T
P= F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay i have no idea why i am getting this wrong. What i did was use P/T = P/T using the right temperatures and atm pressure in N/msquared for the pressure on the left side of the equation. on the right i am solving for P and used the 180+273 as the new temperature.

i got 154607.5 N/msquared

I then plugged that into P = F/A and cubed rooted the Volume given and squared that value to get area of one side of the box. and for the final answer got 17780 N.

the correct answer is 6400N

:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot the air outside of the box.

am i supposed to add 1 atm to the answer i got? before plugging it into P=F/A

No, you use the formula P=F/A twice; once to calculate for the force from the inside (which you have done), then again to calculate the force from the outside (due to the air outside). Taking the difference of these will give the net force.

xopenx said:
am i supposed to add 1 atm to the answer i got? before plugging it into P=F/A

The air outside the box pushes on the sides in the opposite direction from the air inside. You can use cristo's suggestion, or equivalently find the pressure difference between the inside and outside before multiplying by the area. That would not come from adding the two pressures.

1. What is the relationship between temperature and kinetic energy in AP Physics B?

The kinetic theory of gases states that the temperature of a gas is directly proportional to the average kinetic energy of its particles. This means that as the temperature increases, the particles in the gas will have a higher average speed and therefore a higher average kinetic energy.

2. How does temperature affect the motion of particles in AP Physics B?

As mentioned before, an increase in temperature leads to an increase in the average kinetic energy of gas particles. This results in the particles moving faster and colliding with each other more frequently, which creates a higher pressure and volume in the gas.

3. What is the formula for calculating temperature in AP Physics B?

The formula for calculating temperature in AP Physics B is T = KEavg / (3/2)k, where T is temperature in Kelvin, KEavg is the average kinetic energy of particles, and k is the Boltzmann constant (1.38 x 10^-23 J/K).

4. How does the temperature of a gas affect its volume in AP Physics B?

According to Charles' law, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature, assuming the pressure and amount of gas remain constant. This means that as the temperature increases, the volume of the gas will also increase.

5. What is the significance of temperature in AP Physics B?

In AP Physics B, temperature is a crucial factor in understanding the behavior of gases. It helps explain the movement and collisions of gas particles, as well as their relationship with pressure and volume. Temperature is also an important concept in thermodynamics, which deals with the transfer of heat energy and its effects on different systems.