Question on the Euclidean Algorithm

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that shows the greatest common divisor of two integers, a and b, is equal to the remainder at the step before the first remainder that terminates in the Euclidean algorithm. The proof uses the principle of mathematical induction and the fact that \gcd(a,b)=\gcd(a+mb,b) for any m\in\mathbb{Z}. It also considers the definition of P(n): \gcd(a_{n-1},a_{n})=\gcd(a_{n},a_{n+1}). Through this, it is shown that \gcd(a,b)=a_{i-1} for some i, where a_{i}=0.
Kindayr

Homework Statement

Let [itex]a,b\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex]. Suppose [itex]r_{0}=a[/itex] and [itex]r_{1}=b[/itex]. By the algorithm, [itex]r_{i}=0[/itex] for some [itex]i\geq 2[/itex] is the first remainder that terminates. Show that [itex]r_{i-1}=\gcd(a,b)[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've shown that [itex]c|r_{i-1}[/itex], and I know that I should show that [itex]r_{i-1}|a[/itex] and [itex]r_{i-1}|b[/itex]. I just don't know how to show both the latter. I don't know where to continue.

I don't want full solutions just given to me (obviously), just some insight :)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe prove first that if a certain c divides [itex]r_k[/itex] and [itex]r_{k+1}[/itex], then it divides [itex]r_{k-1}[/itex].
Then apply this result for c=gcd(a,b).

Nevermind, I got it without having to break it down into cases!

Note, [itex]\gcd(a,b)=\gcd(a+mb,b)[/itex] for any [itex]m\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex].

Define [itex]P(n): \gcd(a_{n-1},a_{n})=\gcd(a_{n},a_{n+1})[/itex]. Let [itex]n_{0}=1[/itex] be our base case. Since [itex]a_{0}=ma_{1}+a_{2}[/itex] by the division algorithm, we have [itex]\gcd(a_{0},a_{1})=\gcd(ma_{1}+a_{2})=\gcd(ma_{1}-ma_{1}+a_{2},a_{1})=\gcd(a_{2},a_{1})=\gcd(a_{1},a_{2})[/itex], thus [itex]P(n_{0})[/itex] is true.

Now let [itex]n\geq 1[/itex] such that [itex]P(n)[/itex] is true. Then we have [itex]\gcd(a_{n-1},a_{n})=\gcd(a_{n},a_{n+1})=\gcd(ma_{n+1}+a_{n+2},a_{n+1})=\gcd(ma_{n+1}-ma_{n+1}+a_{n+2},a_{n+1})=\gcd(a_{n+2},a_{n+1})=\gcd(a_{n+1},a_{n+2})[/itex]. Hence, [itex]\gcd(a_{n},a_{n+1})=\gcd(a_{n+1},a_{n+2})[/itex], thus for all [itex]n\geq 1[/itex], [itex]P(n)\implies P(n+1)[/itex]. Hence, by the principle of Mathematical Induction: [itex]\forall n\geq 1,P(n)[/itex].

Since we know that for some [itex]i[/itex], [itex]a_{i}=0[/itex], it follows that: [tex]\gcd(a,b)=\gcd(a_{0},a_{1})=\cdots =\gcd(a_{i-1},a_{i})=\gcd(a_{i-1},0)=a_{i-1}.[/tex] Therefore, [itex]\gcd(a,b)=a_{i-1}[/itex], as required.

1. What is the Euclidean Algorithm?

The Euclidean Algorithm is a method for finding the greatest common divisor (GCD) of two integers. It was developed by the Greek mathematician Euclid in the 3rd century BC and is still widely used today in fields such as number theory and cryptography.

2. How does the Euclidean Algorithm work?

The Euclidean Algorithm works by repeatedly dividing the larger number by the smaller number and taking the remainder. This process is repeated until the remainder is equal to 0, at which point the GCD is the last non-zero remainder. The algorithm is based on the fundamental property that the GCD of two numbers is equal to the GCD of the smaller number and the remainder of the larger number divided by the smaller number.

3. What is the significance of the Euclidean Algorithm?

The Euclidean Algorithm is significant because it provides a simple and efficient method for finding the GCD of two numbers. It is also the basis for more advanced algorithms for solving problems in number theory and cryptography.

4. Can the Euclidean Algorithm be used for numbers other than integers?

The Euclidean Algorithm can be used for any two numbers that can be divided and have a remainder, not just integers. This includes rational numbers, real numbers, and even complex numbers.

5. Are there any limitations to the Euclidean Algorithm?

The Euclidean Algorithm can only be used to find the GCD of two numbers. It cannot be used for finding the GCD of more than two numbers or for finding the least common multiple (LCM) of two numbers. Additionally, the algorithm becomes less efficient for very large numbers, as the number of steps required to find the GCD increases with the size of the numbers.