Question regarding CP symmetry and weak interaction

In this case, if CP symmetry is broken, the process B^0 \rightarrow D^- e^+ \bar{\nu_e} would occur more frequently than the process B^0 \rightarrow D^+ e^- \nu_e. However, this violation is still very small and is not observed in this particular process.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I have the next decay:

[tex]B^0 \rightarrow D^+ e^- \nu_e[/tex]

The question is:
employ CP symmetry on the particles in this process, what reaction would you get?
and what would happen if CP symmetry breaks?

Now if I employ CP symmetry I get:
[tex]B^0 \rightarrow D^- e^+ \bar{\nu_e}[/tex]

But in my notebook it's written that weak interaction violates CP symmetry, and this process is obviously weak.

Now that I read Wikipedia's entry I read the CP violation was found in Kaons and that it's small, so I guess CP doesn't get violated here, only C symmetry and P symmetry.

Now if CP symmetry gets violated what will I see is that the last process will never get detected in experiments cause CP get violated in the first process.

Is my reasoning correct or flawed?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not acquainted with the particular process, but in general CP violation is observed by seeing a quantitative difference in processes which should have the same probability.

1. What is CP symmetry?

CP symmetry, also known as charge parity symmetry, is a fundamental principle in physics that states that a system should behave the same way if particles are replaced with their antiparticles and left and right are swapped.

2. What is the relationship between CP symmetry and weak interaction?

The weak interaction is one of the four fundamental forces in nature and is responsible for certain types of radioactive decay. CP symmetry is related to the weak interaction because certain weak interactions violate CP symmetry, meaning they do not behave the same way under particle-antiparticle exchange and left-right swapping.

3. Why is CP symmetry important in particle physics?

CP symmetry is important because it is a fundamental symmetry that is expected to hold in the laws of physics. The violation of CP symmetry in certain weak interactions led to the discovery of CP violation, which is a crucial piece in understanding the imbalance between matter and antimatter in the universe.

4. How is CP violation observed in experiments?

CP violation is observed by measuring the difference in decay rates between particles and antiparticles. This difference indicates a violation of CP symmetry. One example of this is the decay of neutral K mesons, where the decay rates for particles and antiparticles are significantly different.

5. Is CP symmetry always violated in weak interactions?

No, CP symmetry is not always violated in weak interactions. While CP violation has been observed in certain weak interactions, there are also examples of weak interactions that do not violate CP symmetry. This is an area of ongoing research and investigation in particle physics.