Question regarding pre-bigbang detection.

• Thread starter moniz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Detection
In summary, the conversation discusses the newly captured image of the visible universe and the concept of the "first light" or the CMB. It also brings up the idea of capturing an image of the coupling of matter and radiation in the early universe and the challenges of constructing a neutrino telescope. The conversation then explores the implications of gravity and neutrinos being able to penetrate the early universe and how it could potentially give us a glimpse into a much larger part of the universe.
moniz
Hi,

I'm not a physicist although I've studied it to first year degree level in the UK many many years ago. I was just reading an article today on the BBC about a new image that's been captured of the visible universe.

The following quote got me thinking and I wondered if your expert knowledge may be able to answer a question for me.

"The CMB is the "first light". It is the light that was finally allowed to move out across space once a post-Big-Bang Universe had cooled sufficiently to permit the formation of hydrogen atoms.

Before that time, scientists say, the cosmos would have been so hot that matter and radiation would have been "coupled" - the Universe would have been opaque."http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/science_and_environment/10501154.stm

It begs the question has anyone tried to capture some sort of image of this coupling? I know it sounds like a crazy suggestion. Can a sort of matter image can be constructed in some way, might any such theoretical particles be detectable? I mean matter is energy (De Broglie particle waves etc). The Universe may be opaque but only to light. Apologies as my knowledge of physics is absolutely terrible at the moment. It's been about 20 years since I studied anything and I didn't go beyond special relativity and Newtonian mechanics.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Photons could not escape from the early universe because it was too dense. It took about 400,000 years for it to dilute sufficiently to become transparent to photons. This, of course, was not an issue for neutrinos.They were able to penetrate the fog shortly after the big bang. Constructing a neutrino telescope is, however, a formidable challenge. Gravity was also able to penetrate the primordial soup. Efforts to detect primordial gravity waves is an active [and more feasible] area of interest in modern astrophysics.

Chronos said:
Photons could not escape from the early universe because it was too dense. It took about 400,000 years for it to dilute sufficiently to become transparent to photons. This, of course, was not an issue for neutrinos.They were able to penetrate the fog shortly after the big bang. Constructing a neutrino telescope is, however, a formidable challenge. Gravity was also able to penetrate the primordial soup. Efforts to detect primordial gravity waves is an active [and more feasible] area of interest in modern astrophysics.

If gravity and neutrinos are able to penetrate the early universe, surely this implies that the current universe is a lot bigger than that which is visible? A lot bigger. And this perhaps could be estimated by the rate of propogation of gravity waves as compared to light multiplied by the number of years.

moniz said:
If gravity and neutrinos are able to penetrate the early universe, surely this implies that the current universe is a lot bigger than that which is visible? A lot bigger. And this perhaps could be estimated by the rate of propogation of gravity waves as compared to light multiplied by the number of years.
Yes, our universe is a lot bigger than just the visible part. If we ever get to the point where we can directly detect primordial gravitational waves, for instance, we will have a window into a vastly larger region of the universe.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. The concept of "coupling" in the early Universe refers to the interaction between matter and radiation. This interaction was so strong that it prevented light from traveling freely through space. As a result, scientists cannot directly observe the early Universe before the formation of hydrogen atoms.

While there is no way to capture an image of this coupling, scientists have studied the effects of this interaction through various experiments and observations. For example, the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) radiation, which is the leftover radiation from the early Universe, provides valuable information about the conditions in the early Universe.

In terms of detecting theoretical particles, scientists have been conducting experiments at high-energy particle colliders, such as the Large Hadron Collider, to search for new particles that may have existed in the early Universe. However, these experiments require a lot of energy and advanced technology, so it is not possible to directly detect the particles from the early Universe at this time.

I hope this helps answer your question. Keep exploring and asking questions about the mysteries of the Universe!

1. What is pre-bigbang detection?

Pre-bigbang detection refers to the search for evidence or signals of events that occurred before the Big Bang, which is the widely accepted theory for the origin of the universe. This includes looking for remnants of previous universes or signs of inflationary processes that occurred before the Big Bang.

2. Why is pre-bigbang detection important?

Pre-bigbang detection is important because it could provide insights into the origin and evolution of the universe. It could also help us better understand the fundamental laws of physics and potentially confirm or challenge current theories about the beginning of the universe.

3. How do scientists search for pre-bigbang signals?

Scientists search for pre-bigbang signals through various methods, such as studying cosmic microwave background radiation, analyzing data from particle accelerators, and looking for anomalies in the distribution of matter and energy in the universe.

4. Have any pre-bigbang signals been detected so far?

Currently, there is no conclusive evidence of pre-bigbang signals. However, some theories and models, such as the cyclic model, propose that evidence of previous universes may be found in certain patterns in the cosmic microwave background radiation.

5. What are the implications of detecting pre-bigbang signals?

If pre-bigbang signals are detected, it could revolutionize our understanding of the universe and potentially lead to new theories and advancements in physics. It could also open up new avenues for research and exploration in cosmology and astrophysics.