Question regarding the charge conjugation operator

In summary, the charge conjugation operator changes the sign of all internal quantum numbers, but does not necessarily change the angular momentum. When applied to a state containing two pions, the charge conjugation operator will flip the charges between the pions, resulting in an eigenvalue of (-1)^L. This does not change the angular momentum of the state, as the pions already have an angular momentum that can be used to determine the charge conjugation. The analogy of changing the quantum number n in the Hydrogen atom by applying the Hamiltonian is not applicable in this case.
Thomas Brady
So I am aware the charge conjugation operator changes the sign of all internal quantum numbers. But I was wondering how it acts on a state such as ## \left|\pi^{+} \pi^{-} \right>## when the individual ##\pi's## are not eigenstates of C. I believe the combination of the ##\pi's## has eigenvalue ##(-1)^l## of C, with l being the eigenvalue of angular momentum, but this does not make sense to me since C is not supposed to change angular momentum. I think I am just confused as to how exactly the operator acts, and I am probably missing something pretty obvious, but the book I am reading does not go into much detail on the charge conjugation operator so any insight is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The state [itex]|\pi^+>[/itex] or [itex]|\pi^->[/itex] is not an eigenstate of the charge conjugation operator [itex]C[/itex]. If they were eigenstates you could write [itex]C|\pi^+>= \lambda_c |\pi^+>[/itex] (which is not the case).
This doesn't mean that this operator doesn't affect them...
When it acts on either of those states, it will flip the charges: [itex]C | \pi^\pm > \propto | \pi^\mp > [/itex].

What will happen when it acts on the state [itex]|\pi^+ \pi^->[/itex] ?
Again flipping the charges you get: [itex] |\pi^- \pi^+>[/itex]
That is not very clear without writing the position to distinguish between the pions, so initially (before applying the operator), let's say that [itex]\pi^+[/itex] was at position [itex]r_1[/itex] and [itex]|\pi^->[/itex] at [itex]r_2[/itex]. I denote that statement by writing [itex]\pi^+ (r_1) [/itex] and [itex]\pi^- (r_2)[/itex].
The charge operator then:
[itex]C|\pi^+(r_1) \pi^-(r_2)> = |\pi^- (r_1) \pi^+(r_2)> [/itex]
So it's like it reflected the two pions ([itex]r_1 \leftrightarrow r_2[/itex] , the positive pion is in the position the negative one was, and the negative pion is in the position the positive pion was)... That's why in the end the state [itex]|\pi^+ \pi^->[/itex] in total is an eigenstate of the charge conjugation and the last acts on it like parity does... The eigenvalue is [itex](-1)^L[/itex] for the same reason:
[itex]C|\pi^+(r_1) \pi^-(r_2)> = |\pi^- (r_1) \pi^+(r_2)> = (-1)^L | \pi^+(r_1)\pi^- (r_2)> [/itex]

Angular momentum is not changed in this process, where did you get that impression? The state of two pion [itex]\pi^\pm[/itex] will have some angular momentum from the configuration of the pions, and from that angular momentum you can specify the charge conjugation...
When in Hydrogen atom you were told that the energy (eigenvalue of the hamiltonian) is [itex]E \sim 1/n^2[/itex], how exactly were you changing the quantum number [itex]n[/itex] by applying the hamiltonian?

Last edited:

What is the charge conjugation operator?

The charge conjugation operator is a mathematical operation that reverses the sign of all charges of a particle. It is denoted by a bar over the original symbol, for example, the charge conjugate of an electron is written as .

What is the purpose of the charge conjugation operator?

The charge conjugation operator is used in theoretical physics to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions. It helps to simplify equations and make predictions about the behavior of particles in various scenarios.

How does the charge conjugation operator affect particle properties?

The charge conjugation operator reverses all charge properties of a particle, such as electric charge, weak isospin, and hypercharge. However, it does not affect other properties like mass, spin, or flavor.

Can the charge conjugation operator be applied to all particles?

No, the charge conjugation operator can only be applied to particles with non-zero charge. This includes all fermions (particles with half-integer spin) and some bosons (particles with integer spin), such as the W and Z bosons.

Is the charge conjugation operator conserved in all interactions?

No, the charge conjugation operator is only conserved in strong interactions. It is not conserved in weak or electromagnetic interactions. This is known as the C-symmetry violation, which was experimentally observed in the decay of kaons in the 1950s.