Question regarding the continuity of functions

In summary: Hence f is continuous at 2.Thus, a function can be continuous at a point without being defined at any other point in some interval around that point.
new_at_math

Homework Statement

so a function was only continuous if and only if lim x ---> a = f(a)

but I read some other books saying a functions continuity can only be judged based on their allowed domains. Does that mean the first definition fails if the domains of where the rule fails are explicitly stated or when using a "familiar" parent graph?

Homework Equations

refer to above

The Attempt at a Solution

the book I read,the humongus of calculus, said but I read some other books saying a functions continuity can only be judged based on their allowed domains. The book doesn`t seem to serious with math. I don`t know how to approach this. I think the book meant to say that this only applies to continuity over an interval rather than the meaning a whole function was continuous.

Physics news on Phys.org
new_at_math said:

Homework Statement

but I read some other books saying a functions continuity can only be judged based on their allowed domains. Does that mean the first definition fails if the domains of where the rule fails are explicitly stated or when using a "familiar" parent graph?

Homework Equations

refer to above

the book I read,the humongus of calculus, said but I read some other books saying a functions continuity can only be judged based on their allowed domains. The book doesn`t seem to serious with math. I don`t know how to approach this. I think the book meant to say that this only applies to continuity over an interval rather than the meaning a whole function was continuous.

Your first statement defines continuity at x=a. f needs to be defined in an open interval around x=a for that to work. Other than that I don't know what the 'allowed domains' thing is about. Can you quote something? Being continuous at a point is certainly different from being continuous everywhere. Is that what you are getting at?

new_at_math said:

Homework Statement

As written, this doesn't mean what you're trying to say - you left part out. It should be like so:
$$\lim_{x \to a}f(x) = f(a)$$
new_at_math said:

Homework Equations

refer to above

new_at_math said:
If this is supposed to define continuity of a function at a, you're missing some details. If I remember correctly, for a function to be continuous at a, three conditions have to be satisfied:
1. [itex]f(a)[/itex] is defined.
2. [itex]\lim_{x \to a}f(x)[/itex] exists.
3. [itex]\lim_{x \to a}f(x) = f(a)[/itex]

For a function to be continuous in some open interval (a, b), the function has to be continuous at every point in the interval.

new_at_math said:

Homework Statement

[tex]
\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = f(a)
[/tex]

The domain of a function is part of its definition. A function is defined at all points of its domain and is undefined everywhere else. A function can't be continuous at a point outside its domain because its value is not defined there.

The formal definition of continuity of a real function is that [itex]f: U \subset \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] is continuous at [itex]a \in U[/itex] if and only if for all [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there exists [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that for all [itex]x \in U[/itex], if [itex]|x - a| < \delta[/itex] then [itex]|f(x) - f(a)| < \epsilon[/itex].

The definition does not require that [itex](a - \delta, a + \delta) \subset U[/itex]. Indeed it may happen that [itex]U \cap (a - \delta, a + \delta) = \{a\}[/itex], in which case [itex]f[/itex] being continuous as [itex]a[/itex] tells you nothing about its values at any other points in [itex]U[/itex].

Thus, for example, any [itex]f: U = (-\infty, 1] \cup \{2\} \cup [3, \infty) \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] is continuous at 2, because for all [itex]x \in U[/itex], if [itex]|x - 2| < \frac12[/itex] then [itex]x = 2[/itex]. Thus for all [itex]x \in U[/itex], if [itex]|x - 2| < \frac12[/itex] then [itex]|f(x) - f(2)| = 0[/itex].

1. What is the definition of continuity for a function?

The definition of continuity for a function states that a function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point is equal to the value of the function at that point. In other words, as x approaches a certain value, the function value at that point should also approach the same value.

2. How do you determine if a function is continuous at a specific point?

To determine if a function is continuous at a specific point, you need to evaluate the limit of the function at that point and compare it to the function value at that point. If the two values are equal, then the function is continuous at that point.

3. Can a function be continuous at one point but not at another?

Yes, a function can be continuous at one point but not at another. This is because the definition of continuity only requires the function to have a limit at that point, not necessarily at all points in its domain.

4. What is the difference between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are two different concepts in calculus. Continuity refers to the smoothness and connectedness of a function, while differentiability refers to the existence of a derivative at a point. A function can be continuous but not differentiable, and vice versa.

5. How do you prove that a function is continuous on a closed interval?

To prove that a function is continuous on a closed interval, you need to show that the function is continuous at every point within that interval. This can be done by evaluating the limit of the function at each point and comparing it to the function value at that point. If the two values are equal, then the function is continuous at that point and, consequently, on the entire interval.