1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question relevant to Moments of Inertia

1. Nov 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    quizconcept.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    I= ∑ miri^2 ?

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure on how to start this problem. How exactly do I know which one is IA, IB, IC since it didnt specify? Can somebody please hint me in solving this problem?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There's no way to know for sure, but I would guess they are A, B, C from left to right.
    By the way, this belongs in Introductory, not in Advanced.

4. Nov 1, 2014 #3
    Oh I'm sorry about that, how do I move the thread over? Kinda new to this.

5. Nov 1, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't know whether you can. Might need a Mentor for that. But don't worry about it this time.. just consider it next time.
    Not sure what the exact definition of Advanced is here, but if you look around the other posts you'll get the flavour.

6. Nov 1, 2014 #5
    Ah okay. Do you think you can help me with the question though? I'm not really sure where to begin.

7. Nov 2, 2014 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Let's start with the leftmost picture (A, presumably). There is only one mass. What is the mass, and how far is it from the axis? What does the ∑miri2 formula give you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted