Question relevant to Moments of Inertia

In summary, the conversation revolved around a problem involving the equation I= ∑ miri^2. The person asking for help was unsure about how to label the different variables and asked for clarification. They were also unsure about the appropriate forum for their question. The responder suggested guessing the labels and looking at other posts for reference. Finally, the person asking for help requested assistance in solving the problem, and the responder suggested starting with the leftmost picture and using the ∑miri2 formula.
Aristotle

Homework Statement

quizconcept.jpg

Homework Equations

I= ∑ miri^2 ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure on how to start this problem. How exactly do I know which one is IA, IB, IC since it didnt specify? Can somebody please hint me in solving this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's no way to know for sure, but I would guess they are A, B, C from left to right.
By the way, this belongs in Introductory, not in Advanced.

Oh I'm sorry about that, how do I move the thread over? Kinda new to this.

Aristotle said:
Oh I'm sorry about that, how do I move the thread over? Kinda new to this.
I don't know whether you can. Might need a Mentor for that. But don't worry about it this time.. just consider it next time.
Not sure what the exact definition of Advanced is here, but if you look around the other posts you'll get the flavour.

haruspex said:
I don't know whether you can. Might need a Mentor for that. But don't worry about it this time.. just consider it next time.
Not sure what the exact definition of Advanced is here, but if you look around the other posts you'll get the flavour.
Ah okay. Do you think you can help me with the question though? I'm not really sure where to begin.

Aristotle said:
Ah okay. Do you think you can help me with the question though? I'm not really sure where to begin.
Let's start with the leftmost picture (A, presumably). There is only one mass. What is the mass, and how far is it from the axis? What does the ∑miri2 formula give you?

Likes Aristotle

1. What is a moment of inertia?

A moment of inertia is a physical quantity that describes the distribution of mass around an axis of rotation. It is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of an object is calculated by integrating the mass of each individual particle in the object, multiplied by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the significance of moment of inertia in physics?

Moment of inertia is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand how objects move and rotate. It is a key factor in determining an object's angular momentum, rotational kinetic energy, and angular acceleration.

4. How does moment of inertia affect an object's stability?

The higher the moment of inertia, the more difficult it is to change the object's rotational motion. This means that objects with larger moments of inertia are more stable and less likely to tip over or change direction easily.

5. What are some real-world applications of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is used in many engineering and design applications, such as calculating the stability of buildings and bridges, designing flywheels for energy storage, and understanding the motion of objects in space. It is also important in sports, as it influences the performance of athletes in activities such as figure skating and diving.