Question relevant to Moments of Inertia

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 1K views
Aristotle
Messages
169
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


quizconcept.jpg


Homework Equations


I= ∑ miri^2 ?

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not sure on how to start this problem. How exactly do I know which one is IA, IB, IC since it didnt specify? Can somebody please hint me in solving this problem?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's no way to know for sure, but I would guess they are A, B, C from left to right.
By the way, this belongs in Introductory, not in Advanced.
 
Oh I'm sorry about that, how do I move the thread over? Kinda new to this.
 
Aristotle said:
Oh I'm sorry about that, how do I move the thread over? Kinda new to this.
I don't know whether you can. Might need a Mentor for that. But don't worry about it this time.. just consider it next time.
Not sure what the exact definition of Advanced is here, but if you look around the other posts you'll get the flavour.
 
haruspex said:
I don't know whether you can. Might need a Mentor for that. But don't worry about it this time.. just consider it next time.
Not sure what the exact definition of Advanced is here, but if you look around the other posts you'll get the flavour.
Ah okay. Do you think you can help me with the question though? I'm not really sure where to begin.
 
Aristotle said:
Ah okay. Do you think you can help me with the question though? I'm not really sure where to begin.
Let's start with the leftmost picture (A, presumably). There is only one mass. What is the mass, and how far is it from the axis? What does the ∑miri2 formula give you?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Aristotle