Question that I dont know how to answer

• Thread starter shadow1010
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a car coasting without friction towards a hill with specific measurements. The question asks for the initial speed needed for the car's wheels to lose contact with the roadway as it crests the hill, and what happens if the initial speed is greater than this value. The participants mention the absence of non-conservative forces and suggest breaking the problem into smaller parts. They also discuss the normal component and its relationship to the car's movement on the hill.
shadow1010
Hi Guys,
we were given this question, and I have no idea where to start.

A car is coasting without friction toward a hill with height 'h' and ratius of the curvature is 'r'.
(a) what initial speed 'vo' will result in the car's wheels just losing contact with the roadway as the car crests the hill?
(b) what happens if the initial speed of the car is greater than the value found in part (a)?

I have figured out that there are no non-conservative forces acting on the car, so the work (conservative) is equal to the work (total) but I don't know where to go from there...any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
So, how does the normal component look all along the hill? Is it the biggest at the top of the hill, is it the smallest? What forces are acting on the car as it goes up the hill? Why am I so concerned about the normal anyway?

You might want to break the problem (a) up into a couple problems, what velocity it needs at the top of the hill to fly off and then how that velocity relates to the initial one (you're energy thoughts for this part are good).

I would approach this problem by first identifying the known variables and equations that can be used to solve for the unknown variables. In this case, the known variables are the height of the hill (h) and the radius of curvature (r). The unknown variables are the initial speed (vo) and the point at which the car's wheels lose contact with the roadway.

To solve for the initial speed, we can use the conservation of energy principle, which states that the total energy (kinetic + potential) of a system remains constant. In this case, the total energy at the bottom of the hill (where the car starts coasting) is equal to the total energy at the top of the hill (where the car's wheels just lose contact with the roadway).

The total energy at the bottom of the hill is equal to the kinetic energy, which is given by 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the car and v is the initial speed. The total energy at the top of the hill is equal to the potential energy, which is given by mgh, where g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Setting these two energies equal to each other, we can solve for the initial speed (vo) that will result in the car's wheels just losing contact with the roadway:

1/2mv^2 = mgh
v^2 = 2gh
v = √(2gh)

This is the answer to part (a) of the question.

For part (b), if the initial speed of the car is greater than the value found in part (a), the car will have enough kinetic energy to overcome the potential energy at the top of the hill. This means that the car will continue to move over the crest of the hill and will not lose contact with the roadway. However, depending on the initial speed and the steepness of the hill, the car may experience a decrease in speed due to friction and may eventually come to a stop or continue to coast at a slower speed.

1. What is the meaning of "Question that I dont know how to answer"?

The meaning of "Question that I dont know how to answer" can vary depending on the context in which it is used. In general, it refers to a question that an individual is unable to provide a satisfactory response to due to lack of knowledge or understanding.

2. How do you handle a question that you don't know how to answer?

As a scientist, it is important to be honest and transparent about our knowledge and capabilities. If faced with a question that we don't know how to answer, we should acknowledge our limitations and express a willingness to learn and seek out the necessary information to find a solution.

3. Are there any tips for answering questions that are difficult to answer?

One useful tip for answering difficult questions is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help to identify any areas of knowledge or understanding that may need further research or clarification.

4. Is it okay to say "I don't know" when asked a question?

Absolutely. As scientists, we are constantly learning and expanding our knowledge. It is perfectly acceptable to admit when we don't have the answer to a question. In fact, it shows humility and a commitment to seeking out the truth.

5. How do you ensure that you are providing accurate and reliable answers to questions?

To ensure that we are providing accurate and reliable answers, it is important to follow the scientific method and adhere to sound research practices. This includes thoroughly researching the topic, consulting with other experts in the field, and citing credible sources to support our answers.