Questions about wave-particle duality terms

In summary: Yes, the electron is still coherent even after it has been measured. This is because the measurement doesn't change the momentum of the electron, it just changes the location of the electron.
etamorphmagus
Hello, I have some questions, but I'm not posting on quantum mechanics because as written in the FAQ, wave-particle duality is not really the realm of quantum mechanics, but is only a way for us to imagine what's going on.

1. Is it true that the uncertainty on the location [tex]\Delta[/tex]x, is in fact the wavelength of the particle?
  2. Continuing from previous question, a wavelet, is when several wavelengths interfere? If this is the case, the amount by which the average wavelength deviates from a constant wavelength is the uncertainty on the momentum [tex]\Delta[/tex]p? I'm trying to understand http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/uncer.html" entry from HyperPhysics.
  3. Another one about wavelets: If we have a wavelet, it means we can pin-point more easily the location of the particle, with the most probability at the peak of the magnitude. Does this imply that a particle which is more "material", less quantum mechanical, is actually several interfering wavelengths that create a wavelet? Sorry if this is not properly phrased.
  4. The next question is of the term 'decoherence'. In the double slit experiment with, say, electrons, the pattern of interference is destroyed when measuring the electron's location (with a light source close to the slits, an example from The Feynman Lectures on Physics). When this happens, the electrons are no longer coherent as their momentum has been slightly changed. This destroys the interference fringes and gives classical diffraction distribution. Is this called 'decoherence'? Because this a very beautiful way of explaining it, however I know that there are ways of "measuring" that don't change an electron's momentum, but by the uncertainty principle still kill the interference image. However, how can this be if the electrons are still coherent? They should interfere.

Thanks a bunch. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
[Note: I'm moving this to the Quantum Physics forum.]

etamorphmagus said:
[*] Is it true that the uncertainty on the location [tex]\Delta[/tex]x, is in fact the wavelength of the particle?

No. [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is a measure of the "spread" of the wave packet which represents a particle. Basically it's the standard deviation of the position probability distribution function [itex]\psi^*\psi[/itex]. If you're not familiar with "standard deviation", you can think of it as a sort of average deviation of the particle's position from the mean position (the center of the packet). It can be defined as

[tex]\Delta x = \sqrt {\langle x^2 \rangle - {\langle x \rangle}^2}[/tex]

For the rest of your questions, I assume that by "wavelet" you mean what most people call in English a "wave packet."

[*] Continuing from previous question, a wavelet, is when several wavelengths interfere?

Loosely speaking, yes. Actually, you have to have infinitely many wavelengths interfering in order to get a true wave packet.

If this is the case, the amount by which the average wavelength deviates from a constant wavelength is the uncertainty on the momentum [tex]\Delta[/tex]p?

Similarly to [itex]\Delta x[/itex], [itex]\Delta p[/itex] is the standard deviation of the momentum probability distribution function.

[*] Another one about wavelets: If we have a wavelet, it means we can pin-point more easily the location of the particle, with the most probability at the peak of the magnitude. Does this imply that a particle which is more "material", less quantum mechanical, is actually several interfering wavelengths that create a wavelet? Sorry if this is not properly phrased.

I think you need to describe more clearly what you mean by 'more "material, less quantum mechanical.' In any case, any particle that is localized to any extent, must be described as a wave packet, i.e. as a superposition of different wavelengths, each with some probability. A "pure" wave that has a single perfectly-defined wavelength must extend to infinity, i.e. is not localized at all.

In QM, we often do talk about "pure" waves for simplicity, but only as approximations to real particles, or as components of a wave packet.

I appreciate your elaborate answers greatly, jtbell, thanks :)

jtbell said:
[itex]\Delta x[/itex] is a measure of the "spread" of the wave packet which represents a particle. Basically it's the standard deviation of the position probability distribution function [itex]\psi^*\psi[/itex]. If you're not familiar with "standard deviation", you can think of it as a sort of average deviation of the particle's position from the mean position (the center of the packet). It can be defined as

[tex]\Delta x = \sqrt {\langle x^2 \rangle - {\langle x \rangle}^2}[/tex]

On http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/uncer.html#c2", they illustrated the wavelength as the area in which you are uncertain of the location of the particle. I know that you've written the correct mathematical [tex]\Delta x[/tex], but does it actually correspond to the wavelength, as illustrated?

Also, are you familiar with what I'm asking on my last question? That electrons can stay with the same momentum (coherent) after they have been measured in some way, thus destroying the interference pattern, but keeping the electrons coherent? I think I read of this statement in some thread on PF, and it doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks again o:)

you asked about the 'wavelength of the particle', which is designated by [tex]\lambda[/tex] on the hyperphysics page. This is different from [tex]\Delta x[/tex], which I can see why you'd call it a "wavelength" but it's not the 'wavelength of the particle'. If you look at the particular diagram on the hyperphysics page, you can see that [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the width of one peak within the packet, and the whole packet's length is [tex]\Delta x[/tex].

jtbell said:
Similarly to [itex]\Delta x[/itex], [itex]\Delta p[/itex] is the standard deviation of the momentum probability distribution function.

On the hyperphysics page, they explain the two extremes likes this: You can have a perfectly defined momentum, which would mean:

[tex] p = \frac{h}{\lambda} [/tex]

So your wave functions would be a sine wave spread out over infinity. So there's no "local" wave packet, thus position is "everywhere".

The other extreme is to sum a wider distribution of [tex] \lambda [/tex] (infinite, as you say, for the extreme case). So that now, p above is not defined for anyone value of [tex] \lambda [/tex], but we have a concentrated wave packet (giving a more precise location). This is what the OP was asking about.

Now that I've actually looked at the Hyperphysics page carefully (should have done it earlier :rolleyes:), I'd like to add that the [itex]\Deita x[/itex] marked on their diagram is somewhat larger than one would calculate using the mathematical definition that I gave. [itex]\Deita x[/itex] is actually the range in which you have approximately a 68% chance of finding the particle, for a packet whose overall shape is a Gaussian distribution.

Last edited:
Pythagorean said:
On the hyperphysics page, they explain the two extremes likes this: You can have a perfectly defined momentum, which would mean:

[tex] p = \frac{h}{\lambda} [/tex]

So your wave functions would be a sine wave spread out over infinity. So there's no "local" wave packet, thus position is "everywhere".

The other extreme is to sum a wider distribution of [tex] \lambda [/tex] (infinite, as you say, for the extreme case). So that now, p above is not defined for anyone value of [tex] \lambda [/tex], but we have a concentrated wave packet (giving a more precise location). This is what the OP was asking about.

Yes I'm getting it now. Thanks a lot for really detailing Pythagorean :smile:

jtbell said:
Now that I've actually looked at the Hyperphysics page carefully (should have done it earlier :rolleyes:), I'd like to add that the [itex[\Deita x[/itex] marked on their diagram is somewhat larger than one would calculate using the mathematical definition that I gave. [itex[\Deita x[/itex] is actually the range in which you have approximately a 68% chance of finding the particle, for a packet whose overall shape is a Gaussian distribution.

But that wave packet indicated as [tex]\Delta x[/tex] on hyperphysics is not a Gaussian, it's a changing sine wave. What does the math say again?

When we say a wave packet is Gaussian, we mean that the "envelope" that modulates the amplitude of the wave function has a Gaussian shape, not that the wave function itself is a pure Gaussian function. See for example the following page

http://musr.physics.ubc.ca/~jess/hr/skept/GWP/

which contains the following initial wave packet (at time t = 0):

[tex]\psi(x) = \frac{A}{\sqrt{\pi}} e^{-x^2/2\sigma_x^2} e^{ik_0 x}[/tex]

The first exponential describes the Gaussian envelope, the second exponential describes the wavelike behavior.

jtbell said:
When we say a wave packet is Gaussian, we mean that the "envelope" that modulates the amplitude of the wave function has a Gaussian shape, not that the wave function itself is a pure Gaussian function. See for example the following page

http://musr.physics.ubc.ca/~jess/hr/skept/GWP/

which contains the following initial wave packet (at time t = 0):

[tex]\psi(x) = \frac{A}{\sqrt{\pi}} e^{-x^2/2\sigma_x^2} e^{ik_0 x}[/tex]

The first exponential describes the Gaussian envelope, the second exponential describes the wavelike behavior.

On hyperphysics, they indicated some deltaX that within it has 5 maximums on top (on that particular picture), which you said that by your method is the area where you have 68% chance to more to find the particle. Does that picture has any meaning or just an illustration of what uncertainty of position means?
100% chance should be infinity, correct?

Related to Questions about wave-particle duality terms

1. What is wave-particle duality?

Wave-particle duality is the concept in quantum mechanics that states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior, depending on the experimental set-up. This means that particles such as electrons and photons can behave like waves with properties such as interference and diffraction, but also have properties of particles such as location and momentum.

2. How was wave-particle duality discovered?

The concept of wave-particle duality was first proposed by physicist Louis de Broglie in 1924. This was based on his research on the behavior of electrons, which showed that they could act as both particles and waves. Later experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, further supported this idea and solidified the concept of wave-particle duality.

3. What is the uncertainty principle and how does it relate to wave-particle duality?

The uncertainty principle, proposed by Werner Heisenberg in 1927, states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the precise position and momentum of a particle. This means that the more accurately we measure one property, the less accurately we can measure the other. This principle is closely related to wave-particle duality, as it shows that particles have both wave-like and particle-like properties, and we cannot fully know both at the same time.

4. Can we observe both the wave and particle nature of a particle at the same time?

No, according to the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, a particle can only be observed as either a wave or a particle, but not both at the same time. This is because the act of observation affects the behavior of the particle, leading to either wave-like or particle-like behavior.

5. How does wave-particle duality impact our understanding of the physical world?

Wave-particle duality challenges our classical understanding of the physical world, where objects are either particles or waves. It shows that the behavior of particles at a quantum level cannot be fully explained by classical physics. This concept has also led to the development of quantum mechanics, which has revolutionized our understanding of the universe and has implications in fields such as technology, medicine, and communication.