Questions and Answers regarding Amplifiers

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between voltage amplifiers and current amplifiers, and how the circuit models for each are similar but with some variations. The decision of whether a device is a current amplifier or a voltage amplifier depends on its intended use and characteristics. When modeling a current amplifier, a current generator is used as the output and the signal current is multiplied by a fixed factor and resistance to convert it to a voltage.
Air
Hello PF Members! I'm revising amplifiers so will post question here occasionally on topics which I don't understand. This isn't homework question as I am asking for my benefit but if you wish for it to be moved, it's fine. :)

Here's my first question:
I've seen the circuit model for voltage amplifiers. Is the current amplifier circuit model the same but the only difference is that we consider the current gain and the input current (Aiii instead of AvVv)? I didn't see a different chapter for current amplifier so I assume it is the same?

Engineering news on Phys.org
They are similar.

Usually you consider something as a current amplifier if there is appreciable current flow at the input (like a bipolar junction transistor for example) and if the current gain tends to be linear, again like a BJT.

Sometimes the real intention is to amplify current. You might be trying to operate a relay or light a LED.
Sometimes you really intend to produce a larger voltage but the device you are using has a non linear resistance vs voltage relationship on its input, but a linear current gain. So, it is easier to work in current.

With devices like FETs, you have no choice. There is essentially no current input so you have to regard it as a voltage amplifier or a voltage to current converter.

So, it is not really a clear-cut decision of whether something is a current amplifier or a voltage amplifier.

When modelling a current amplifier, you have a current generator as an output and the signal current out is a fixed factor (hfe) times the input signal current.

You convert these values to voltages by multiplying by the resistances they pass through.
The input voltage is the input signal current times the resistance of the base emitter junction (if it is a BJT) and the output voltage is the output of the current generator times the load resistance (in parallel with the output resistance of the transistor).
The voltage gain is the ratio of these two voltages.

I would like to thank you for seeking clarification on a topic that you are revising. It shows your dedication and commitment towards understanding the subject matter. To answer your question, yes, the circuit model for current amplifiers is very similar to that of voltage amplifiers. The main difference lies in the parameters that are considered, such as current gain and input current, as you mentioned. However, there are some subtle differences in the analysis and design of current amplifiers, which may not be covered in a separate chapter but are still important to understand. I would suggest consulting your textbook or seeking guidance from your instructor for a more comprehensive understanding of current amplifiers. Keep up the good work!

What is an amplifier?

An amplifier is an electronic device that is used to increase the amplitude or power of a signal. It takes a weak input signal and produces a stronger output signal, making it an essential component in many electronic systems.

How does an amplifier work?

An amplifier works by taking an input signal, which is usually in the form of an electrical voltage, and using active electronic components such as transistors to amplify it. These components use a power source to increase the amplitude of the signal and produce a larger output signal.

What are the different types of amplifiers?

There are several types of amplifiers, including voltage amplifiers, current amplifiers, and power amplifiers. Voltage amplifiers increase the voltage of a signal, current amplifiers increase the current, and power amplifiers increase both voltage and current to produce a higher power output.

What are the key characteristics of an amplifier?

The key characteristics of an amplifier include gain, bandwidth, input and output impedance, and distortion. Gain is the ratio of the output signal to the input signal, while bandwidth is the range of frequencies that the amplifier can handle. Input and output impedance determine the compatibility of the amplifier with other components, and distortion refers to any changes or alterations to the original signal.

How do I choose the right amplifier for my application?

To choose the right amplifier, you should consider the type of signal you want to amplify, the required gain and bandwidth, the input and output impedance, and any specific features or requirements for your application. It is also essential to consider factors such as cost, size, and power consumption when selecting an amplifier.