Questions on chapter 95 in Srednickis QFT book, Supersymmetry

In summary: I was looking for a different answer. In summary, Srednickis Chapter on Supersymmetry discusses the kinetic term of the chiral superfields, but does not provide an evaluation of the field's magnitude. Additionally, he starts off equation 95.68 with a factor of 2, when compared to equation 95.16.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hello all

Since there seems that quite many here have followed Professor Srednickis QFT book, I want to ask a couple of question I have from his chapter on Supersymmetry.

i) on page 617 he defines the kinetic term of the Chiral Superfields as:
[tex]L_{\text{kin}} = \Phi^{\dagger} \exp(-2gV) \Phi[/tex]

but he evaluates [tex] \Phi^{\dagger} \Phi[/tex] in eq. 95.63

But why? the relation is not [tex] \exp(-2gV) \Phi^{\dagger} \Phi[/tex]

Can one pull that exponential like this, even though it contains anticommuting numbers (95.62)

ii) On page 618, he says that "From eq 95.24, we see that [tex]D^*_{\dot{a}} = - \partial ^*_{\dot{a}} [/tex] acts on a function of y, theta and theta^*

Has anyone confirmed this? I am lost, and what is the significance of this?

iii) How does he starts off with equation 95.68, and why is there a factor of 2, comparing with 95.16??

If anyone has any questions on this chapter, maybe we can start a study circle and solve the problems and derivations together?

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
malawi_glenn said:
Can one pull that exponential like this, even though it contains anticommuting numbers
Yes, because V and Phi are commuting; every term in them contains an even number of Grassmann variables. I believe he writes it that way because then it generalizes to the nonabelian case, where V is a matrix.

As for your other questions, I don't have the book handy at the moment, will try to check back later.

(i)

The only field that is not commuting, Srednicki introduces on equation (95.65). You can tell because the field has a spinor index, (95.73) makes it concrete.

(ii)

This is correct. (95.24) proves two of the statements. The third is simple just use the definition (95.17).

(iii)

95.68 is true too. It's like a chain rule. The 2 comes out when you actually do the calculation of D_a on y^mu.

Thank you all for input, will get my hands more dirty tomorrow with this hehe

I just looked at your second question again (ii), and it's somewhat tricky.

The supercovariant derivatives (D_a) was initially defined with respect to the spacetime variable x, I think on the 2nd page of the chapter. But Srednicki is writing the field W_a in terms of a new variable y now. So the question becomes how does D_a operate on a function of y now? 95.24 says D_a (where D_a operates on a field with argument x), operating on y (which is a function of x), is zero. So D_a operated on y is zero. However, you can write that as [tex]-\partial^{*}_{a} [/tex] (where there is a dot on the 'a') because operated on y, this is zero. So basically Srednicki is rewriting D_a to operate on a space with a y coordinate instead of an x one.

malawi_glenn said:
Hello all

ii) On page 618, he says that "From eq 95.24, we see that [tex]D^*_{\dot{a}} = - \partial ^*_{\dot{a}} [/tex] acts on a function of y, theta and theta^*

[tex]D^*[/tex] on y and on [tex] \theta [/tex] gives zero , so the only action that it can have comes from its first term in 95.17, which is [tex]- \partial ^*_{\dot{a}} [/tex]. I am probably missing the point of your question.

EDIT: Sorry, just realized that RedX had answered that question.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of chapter 95 in Srednicki's QFT book?

Chapter 95 in Srednicki's QFT book is dedicated to the topic of Supersymmetry, which is an important concept in theoretical physics that attempts to unify fundamental particles and forces in nature.

2. What is Supersymmetry and how does it relate to quantum field theory?

Supersymmetry is a theoretical framework that proposes a symmetry between fermions (matter particles) and bosons (force particles). It is a fundamental concept in quantum field theory and is believed to play a crucial role in explaining the behavior of particles at high energies.

3. What are the main principles of Supersymmetry?

There are two main principles of Supersymmetry: the symmetry between fermions and bosons, and the presence of a new type of symmetry transformation known as a supercharge. These principles allow for a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in nature.

4. What are the potential implications of Supersymmetry in physics?

Supersymmetry has the potential to provide a more complete and elegant explanation of the fundamental forces and particles in nature. It may also help to solve some of the current problems in theoretical physics, such as the hierarchy problem and the unification of quantum mechanics and general relativity.

5. Are there any experimental evidences for Supersymmetry?

While there is no direct experimental evidence for Supersymmetry yet, many physicists believe that it may be observed at high-energy particle colliders such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. Additionally, some theories in Supersymmetry have been successful in predicting the existence of certain particles, such as the Higgs boson.