Questions regarding Chemical Reactions

In summary, two chemicals are reacted to form a new substance. P_4 with every P of 31 g/mol makes 124 grams while H_3PO_4 is formed when P_4 is mixed with O_2. The volume of O_2 used in (ii) is 1,41 mol. V=34,9 liters.
Mathman23
Hi

I got two questions regarding the following chemical:

i) P_4 + 5O_2 -----> P_4 O_10

ii) P_4 O_10 + 6H_2O -----> 4H3 PO_4

How many grams of P_4 O_10 are formed in i) if there is 35 grams of P_4 ??

How many grams of H_3 PO_10 are formed in ii) if I have 35 grams of P_4 ??

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely
Fred

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Dear Fred,

P4 with every P of 31 g/mol makes 124 grams for this chemical (P:31, O:16, H:1 gram/mol). Find the appropriate mole number from there. Remember that 1:4 mole ratio is present to convert this into H3PO4.

I am sure you can find the grams of product as the reaction proceeds 100%.

Regards, chem_tr

Dear chem_tr

Thank You Very much for Your answer.

Here are my calculations.

First the chemical-reactions:

[tex]
P_4 + 5O_2 \rightarrow \mathrm{P_4 O_{10}} \mathrm{(i)}
[/tex]

[tex] P_4 O_{10} + 6 H_2 O \rightarrow 4 H_3 PO_{4} \mathrm{(ii)} [/tex]

a) Calculating the mass of [tex] \mathrm{P_{4} O_{10}} [/tex] then the mass of [tex] \mathrm{P_4} [/tex] is 35 grams.

[tex] \frac{n(P_4 O_{10})}{n(P_{4})} = 1 \rightarrow n(P_{4} O_{10}) = n(P_{4}) = \frac{m(P_4)}{M(P_4)} = \frac{35,00 \mathrm{g}}{124,00 \mathrm{g/mol}} = 0,282 \mathrm{mol} [/tex]

[tex]
\mathrm{m(P_4 O_{10})} = \mathrm{M(P_4 O_{10})} \cdot n(P_4 O_{10}) = 284,00 \mathrm{g/mol} \cdot 0,282 \mathrm{mol} = 80,09 \mathrm{g}
[/tex]

b) Calculating the mass of [tex] H_3 PO_{4} [/tex] then the mass of [tex] P_4 [/tex] is 35 grams.

[tex] \frac{n(H_3 PO_{4})}{n(P_{4} O_{10})} = 4 \rightarrow n(P_{4} O_{10}) = 4 \cdot n(H_3 PO_{4}) = 4 \cdot \frac{80,09 \mathrm{g}}{284,00 \mathrm{g/mol}} = 4 \cdot 0,282 \mathrm{mol} = 1,123 \mathrm{mol}[/tex]

[tex]
\mathrm{m(H_3 PO_{4})} = \mathrm{M(H_3 PO_{4})} \cdot \mathrm{n(H_3 PO_{4})} = 98,00 \mathrm{g/mol} \cdot 1,123 \mathrm{mol} = 110,5 \mathrm{g}
[/tex]

c) The Volume of [tex] O_{2} [/tex] used in (ii)

P = 1,0 bar
T = 25 + 273 = 298 K

[tex] n({O_2}) = 1,41 \mathrm{mol} [/tex]

[tex] R = 0,083 \mathrm{\frac{L \cdot bar}{mol \cdot K}} [/tex]

then the volume [tex] V = \frac{1,41 mol \cdot 0,083 \mathrm{\frac{L \cdot bar}{mol \cdot K}} \cdot 298 K }{1,0 \mathrm{bar}} = 34,9 \mathrm{L} [/tex]

Here is there I have a problem:

d) How many liters of 0,500 M [tex]H_3 PO_{4}[/tex] can be generated by the [tex]H_3 PO_{4}[/tex] in b ?

Thank You very much again for Your kind answer.

Sincerely
Fred

Hello,

110,5 grams of [itex]H_3PO_4[/itex] is 1,123 mol, as you found in your thread. As [itex]C= \frac {n}{V}[/itex], you may rearrange this equation to find V:
[tex]V= \frac {n}{C}= [/tex] and this is up to you.

chem_tr said:
Dear Fred,

P4 with every P of 31 g/mol makes 124 grams for this chemical (P:31, O:16, H:1 gram/mol). Find the appropriate mole number from there. Remember that 1:4 mole ratio is present to convert this into H3PO4.

I am sure you can find the grams of product as the reaction proceeds 100%.

Regards, chem_tr

dear chem_tr, please sxcuse me jumping in here I've just joined and i need to ask a general Q re polymer reactions. should i continue or...?

This thread was active five years ago...

Alex72, please start a new thread with your polymer reaction question.

1. What is a chemical reaction?

A chemical reaction is a process in which one or more substances are transformed into new substances with different properties. This transformation occurs due to the rearrangement of atoms and the formation or breaking of chemical bonds.

2. What are the different types of chemical reactions?

There are five main types of chemical reactions: synthesis, decomposition, single replacement, double replacement, and combustion. Synthesis reactions combine two or more substances to form a new compound, while decomposition reactions break down a compound into simpler substances. Single replacement reactions involve one element replacing another in a compound, while double replacement reactions involve an exchange of atoms between two compounds. Combustion reactions are reactions that involve a fuel and an oxidizing agent, producing heat and usually releasing light as well.

3. How can we tell if a chemical reaction has occurred?

There are several signs that a chemical reaction has occurred: a change in color, formation of a gas or solid, production of heat or light, and formation of a new substance with different properties. These changes indicate that there has been a rearrangement of atoms and formation or breaking of chemical bonds.

4. What is the difference between a chemical and physical reaction?

A chemical reaction involves the transformation of one or more substances into new substances with different properties, while a physical reaction involves a change in the state or form of a substance without any change in its chemical composition. In a physical reaction, the original substances can be recovered, whereas in a chemical reaction, the original substances are usually irreversibly transformed into new substances.

5. How do we balance a chemical equation?

In order to balance a chemical equation, we need to ensure that the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms of that element on the product side. This is done by adjusting the coefficients (numbers in front of the chemical formulas) of the reactants and products. The law of conservation of mass states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction, so the number of atoms of each element must be the same on both sides of the equation.