Proving lim(S_n) = 1/2(1 + sqrt(5)) for Quick Analysis Problem

• Thread starter steelphantom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the homework statement is to find the possible limits for a sequence, and if they exist to solve for the limit.
steelphantom

Homework Statement

Let S_1 = 1 and for n >= 1 let S_n+1 = sqrt(S_n + 1)

e.g. s_2 = sqrt(2), s_3 = sqrt(sqrt(2) + 1), etc.

Prove lim(S_n) = 1/2(1 + sqrt(5)).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure how to approach this. This is right after the "Limit Theorems" section in our book, so I would assume I have to use some limit theorems. The tricky part is figuring out which ones to use! :rolleyes: Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, two things:

First you must find the possible limits. If they exists they will solve

lim(S_n+1) = lim(sqrt[S_n + 1]).

recall that lim(S_n+1) = lim(S_n) = s. So you just solve a quadratic equation.

Now, you don't know if they exist, but just remember one thing:

A monotone bounded sequence is convergent.

See if you can prove that the sequence is bounded and monotone.

If you can show that, then you know it must converge, and if it converges then it converges to either one of the two equilibrium (should be fairly obvious to which).

Thanks for your response. I neglected to say in the first post that we can assume S_n converges, which makes the problem a lot easier. So I know that lim(S_n+1) = lim(sqrt[S_n + 1]) = lim(S_n) = s. I'm not sure what you mean by solving a quadratic equation.

Edit: OK, I have lim(S_n+1)lim(sqrt[S_n + 1]) = lim(S_n+1 * sqrt[s_n + 1]) = s^2. Not sure if that helps me or not.

Last edited:
you have S_n+1 = sqrt(S_n + 1) or equivalently
S_n+1^2 = S_n + 1

Assuming that S_n converges to s, we have lim(S_n+1) = lim(S_n) = s
So s^2 = s + 1

Solve for s, you will get two solutions, one of which is the one you posted.
Now, you got to show that it converges to that one and not the toher... which means that it will be either increasing or decreasing monotonically to it (which should be its boundary). That's what you have to show.

Ok, I figured it out. Thanks for your help!

What is Quick Analysis Problem?

Quick Analysis Problem is a method used by scientists to analyze data and solve problems in a fast and efficient manner. It involves breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and using scientific methods to find solutions.

How is Quick Analysis Problem different from other problem-solving methods?

Quick Analysis Problem differs from other problem-solving methods in that it emphasizes speed and efficiency. It also places a strong emphasis on using scientific principles and data analysis to find solutions.

What are the steps involved in Quick Analysis Problem?

The steps involved in Quick Analysis Problem are: identifying and defining the problem, gathering relevant data, analyzing the data, developing potential solutions, evaluating the solutions, and implementing the best solution.

What types of problems can be solved using Quick Analysis Problem?

Quick Analysis Problem can be used to solve a wide range of problems in various fields such as science, engineering, and business. It is particularly useful for complex and data-heavy problems that require a systematic approach.

Can anyone use Quick Analysis Problem or is it only for scientists?

While Quick Analysis Problem is commonly used by scientists, anyone can use this method to solve problems. It is a versatile problem-solving approach that can be applied to different fields and industries.