Why would sugar dissolve in water much faster then salt does?

In summary, the standard of living in a society might be measured in units kJ/Person available in that society.
joejo
quick help!

Hi I need help with two quick questions... thanks in advance...

With the same type of agitation and at the same temperature, why would sugar disolve in water much faster then salt does?

discuss the idea that the standard of living in a society might be measured in units kJ/Person available in that society

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The second is not a quick question, and both look like homework. Check the rules for homework help.

joejo said:
With the same type of agitation and at the same temperature, why would sugar disolve in water much faster then salt does?
That's a damn good question. If anybody knows the answer, please send me a PM.
My only guess is that sugar molecules don't stack too well. Sticking sugar molecules together would be like throwing Christmas lights into a bundle. There would be holes everywhere, and those holes would be big enough for water molecules to get in and start breaking stuff apart. Salt would be the exact opposite; it's more like stacking panes of glass. Everything would be very close together, and water can only "attack" the salt crystals from the outer edges.

That energy per person thing is very straight forward. You don't need help with that.

they are questions in my textbook. I'm a homeschool student so I don't really have homework. I just need help understanding these as I couldn't find the answers in my text!...can anyone help me out?

Can anyone help me answer my questions...sugar or salt??

Well, I imagine that it is somewhat related to the differences in the overall process of solvation for each as well as the type of bonding interaction experienced during solvation. The interaction between sugar and water will probably be stronger than sugar-sugar, water will solvate sugar through intermolecular hydrogen bonding.

With a salt, such as NaCl, the overall process is a bit longer, you've got to break up the ordered lattice energy and the solvation is more ordered than with a sugar.

Overall, sugar is more miscible in water, than the salt;like dissolves like.

water-water, hydrogen bonding

sugar-water, hydrogen bonding

salt-water, dipole-ionic interactions

hey thanks generalchemtutor! it makes much more sense now!

any hints on my other question

KJ/person just means how much food, oil, and electricity are available. Obviously more is better.

thats it...lol...that doesn't help at all...anyone else...thanks though

1. Why does sugar dissolve in water faster than salt?

This is because sugar molecules are smaller and have a more irregular shape compared to salt molecules. Therefore, they are able to interact more easily with the water molecules, breaking down and dispersing faster.

2. Does temperature affect the rate of sugar dissolving in water compared to salt?

Yes, higher temperatures can increase the rate of dissolution for both sugar and salt, but sugar will still dissolve faster due to its smaller molecular size and shape.

3. Is there a limit to how much sugar can dissolve in water?

Yes, there is a limit known as the solubility limit. Once this limit is reached, no more sugar molecules can dissolve in the water and they will remain as undissolved particles.

4. Can other factors besides temperature affect the rate of sugar dissolving in water?

Yes, the size of the sugar particles can also affect the rate of dissolution. Smaller sugar particles will dissolve faster due to their increased surface area, compared to larger sugar particles.

5. Does the type of sugar used affect its rate of dissolution in water?

Yes, different types of sugar, such as granulated sugar, powdered sugar, or brown sugar, may have slightly different rates of dissolution due to variations in their molecular structures. However, overall, all types of sugar will dissolve faster in water compared to salt.