Quick little short answer question about magnitude of force.

In summary, the force on the quarterback would be the same regardless of how much or how little the defensive lineman puts into it.
Wrightboy
1. A defensive lineman breaks through the line and flattens the quarterback. The magnitude of the force he imparts on the poor quarterback is (a) greater than (b) the same as (c) less than, the magnitude of the force the quarterback imparts on the defensive lineman.

2. Not sure of any

3. I really have no idea, I'm honestly just looking at the question and I can't seem to grasp what it's asking. I mean, is it as simple as it looks and it's just the same? I can't imagine he'd have put more force into the quarterback, as the line is obviously the harder part to get through. And the same with less, wouldn't that be risking the quarterback surviving the attack?
I know very little about football or physics lol.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wrightboy said:
1. A defensive lineman breaks through the line and flattens the quarterback. The magnitude of the force he imparts on the poor quarterback is (a) greater than (b) the same as (c) less than, the magnitude of the force the quarterback imparts on the defensive lineman.

2. Not sure of any

3. I really have no idea, I'm honestly just looking at the question and I can't seem to grasp what it's asking. I mean, is it as simple as it looks and it's just the same? I can't imagine he'd have put more force into the quarterback, as the line is obviously the harder part to get through. And the same with less, wouldn't that be risking the quarterback surviving the attack?
I know very little about football or physics lol.

Welcome to the PF. Hint -- start with F=ma ...

So if his force is equal to his mass times acceleration, and his mass doesn't change and I'm guessing his acceleration after he breaks the line is the same as when he hit the line...the force would in face be equal? Sorry if I'm making myself look really stupid here lol.

What is magnitude of force?

The magnitude of force refers to the strength or size of a force. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N).

How is magnitude of force related to acceleration?

According to Newton's second law, the magnitude of force is directly proportional to the acceleration of an object. This means that the greater the magnitude of force, the greater the acceleration, and vice versa.

Can magnitude of force be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of force can be negative. When a force is in the opposite direction of motion, it is considered a negative force. However, the magnitude will always be a positive value.

How can the magnitude of force affect an object's motion?

The magnitude of force can affect an object's motion by either changing its speed or direction. A larger magnitude of force will result in a greater change in motion compared to a smaller magnitude of force.

What is the difference between magnitude of force and net force?

The magnitude of force refers to the strength or size of a single force acting on an object, while net force refers to the overall sum of all forces acting on an object. The magnitude of force can be positive or negative, but the net force will always be a positive value.