How does the mass of a string affect the period of a pendulum?

• Thread starter ptrainerjoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the period of a pendulum would slightly decrease if the string's mass was not negligible and had to be accounted for. This can be determined by comparing the period to that of a simple pendulum without the string's mass. The center of mass would also shift if the string's mass was included, leading to a decrease in the period.
ptrainerjoe
How would the period of a pendulum change if A)the string's mass was negligible and b) the stings mass had to be accounted for. I can think of arguments for both but can't find an equation or definate answer for either one.
I think the period will increase since I=I(string)+ml^2 and the period equals T=2pi*sqrt(I/mgl)
Help please!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the string's mass was not negligible, in comparison to the "bob", where would the center of mass be? How does the period depend upon the length of a pendulum?

The period of a physical pendulum is given by:
[tex]T = 2 \pi \sqrt{I/mgl_{cm}}[/tex]
If we include the mass of the string: I increases, of course, but so does m; but the length (from pivot to center of mass) decreases. To find out which effect dominates, you'll have to plug in expressions for I, m, and l and then compare the period to that of a simple pendulum without the string's mass.

According to my analysis (do it for yourself), if you include the mass of the string, the period would slightly decrease.

1. What is a quick pendulum?

A quick pendulum is a type of pendulum that has a very short period of oscillation, meaning it swings back and forth very quickly.

2. How is the period of a quick pendulum calculated?

The period of a quick pendulum is calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the period of a quick pendulum?

The period of a quick pendulum is affected by its length, the acceleration due to gravity, and the amplitude of its swing.

4. How is a quick pendulum used in scientific experiments?

A quick pendulum is often used in experiments to measure the acceleration due to gravity or to demonstrate the principles of harmonic motion.

5. What are the advantages of using a quick pendulum over a regular pendulum?

A quick pendulum has a shorter period of oscillation, making it easier to measure and more accurate in experiments. It also allows for more swings per unit of time, providing more data points for analysis.