Power to Horsepower Conversion: Multiply or Divide?

• Thread starter anonymous820
  • Start date
In summary, to convert from power to horsepower, you can either multiply by 746 watts or divide by 745.7 watts. Based on the given values, the power is approximately 639 watts, which is less than 1 horsepower. Therefore, it is more reasonable to divide by 745.7 watts to get the conversion to horsepower. This is also supported by the fact that 400,000 horsepower would be an unreasonable amount of power for a person. It is important to carry units along in calculations to ensure accuracy.
anonymous820

Homework Statement

how do u get from power to horsepower?
mass=60 kg
weight=588.6 N
height=7 m
time=6.45 s
power= 638.79 W

Homework Equations

----

The Attempt at a Solution

multiply by 746 W to get: 476537.34 hp
or divide by 746 W to get: .856286 hp

i think its divide rather than multiply b/c then the watts cancel and ure left with hp, but I am not sure. that's my only question. multiply or divide?

Physics news on Phys.org
1 horsepower = 745.7 watts
or 1 W = 1/745.7 Hp, so you replace the 'W' with (1/745.7)Hp.

Or just think would 638W be more or less than 1 hp and roughly how many would it be?
It's always worth estimating the answer before putting the numbers in a calculator.

Last edited:
less. so IT IS divide. thanks. i knew 400,000 hp was unreasonable for a person. this was a lab btw.

Last edited:
anonymous820 said:
i think its divide rather than multiply b/c then the watts cancel and ure left with hp, but I am not sure. that's my only question. multiply or divide?

You have the correct instinct that you should be able to carry your units along in your calculation to help you keep the numbers in the right places. Here's a thread that should help your insight -- check out my post #10 and the subsequent comments:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=130989

Very important trick to use and master in your math and physics and engineering studies!

1. What is the difference between power and horsepower?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred, while horsepower is a unit of measurement for power. One horsepower is approximately equivalent to 746 watts.

2. How is power measured in an engine?

In an engine, power is typically measured in horsepower (hp) or kilowatts (kW). It can be calculated by multiplying torque (measured in foot-pounds or Newton-meters) by engine speed (measured in revolutions per minute or radians per second) and dividing by a constant factor.

3. What factors affect the amount of power an engine produces?

The amount of power an engine produces is affected by factors such as the size and type of engine, the fuel type and quality, the design and condition of the engine's components, and the operating conditions (e.g. temperature, altitude, etc.).

4. Can an engine's power be increased?

Yes, an engine's power can be increased through modifications such as adding a turbocharger or supercharger, increasing the displacement, improving the air intake and fuel delivery systems, and tuning the engine's computer.

5. How does power affect a vehicle's performance?

Power plays a significant role in a vehicle's performance, as it determines the acceleration and top speed of the vehicle. A higher power output can result in faster acceleration and a higher top speed, but it can also lead to decreased fuel efficiency and increased wear on the engine.