1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick power/hp question

1. Jan 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

how do u get from power to horsepower?
    mass=60 kg
    weight=588.6 N
    height=7 m
    time=6.45 s
    power= 638.79 W

2. Relevant equations

----

3. The attempt at a solution

multiply by 746 W to get: 476537.34 hp
    or divide by 746 W to get: .856286 hp

i think its divide rather than multiply b/c then the watts cancel and ure left with hp, but im not sure. thats my only question. multiply or divide?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1 horsepower = 745.7 watts
    or 1 W = 1/745.7 Hp, so you replace the 'W' with (1/745.7)Hp.

Or just think would 638W be more or less than 1 hp and roughly how many would it be?
    It's always worth estimating the answer before putting the numbers in a calculator.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  4. Jan 14, 2008 #3
    less. so IT IS divide. thanks. i knew 400,000 hp was unreasonable for a person. this was a lab btw.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  5. Jan 14, 2008 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You have the correct instinct that you should be able to carry your units along in your calculation to help you keep the numbers in the right places. Here's a thread that should help your insight -- check out my post #10 and the subsequent comments:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=130989

Very important trick to use and master in your math and physics and engineering studies!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?