QUICK QUESTION about matrix (linear algebra)

In summary, row reduction of a matrix can be thought of as solving the system Ax=0. The use of "→" instead of "=" is to avoid confusion with the equal sign's specific meaning. The symbol for equivalence, "≡", is used instead. This is because the row operations done during reduction do not change the solution of the system, they only simplify it. Therefore, it is more accurate to say that the two matrices are "equivalent" rather than "equal" after performing row reduction.
kougou
Hello guys,
I am wondering, could a elementary row operation be done to a matrix without changing it.

I know that if we have the SYSTEM, then we could exchange rows, scalar multiplication of a row, linear combination of one rows.

but if we are only given a matrix, and we are asked to row reduce that matrix, could we still do scalar multiplication of a rows, exchange rows, etc?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Yup. You can think of row-reducing a matrix by itself as essentially solving the system Ax=0, which is something you might want to do to show that vectors are linearly independent, that the kernel of a linear map is trivial, etc. There's really no point in tacking on a column of zeros to form an enhanced matrix since the row operations will leave it unchanged.

vela said:
Yup. You can think of row-reducing a matrix by itself as essentially solving the system Ax=0, which is something you might want to do to show that vectors are linearly independent, that the kernel of a linear map is trivial, etc. There's really no point in tacking on a column of zeros to form an enhanced matrix since the row operations will leave it unchanged.

Thank you for your reply.
I remember my TA told me that when we are doing row reduction for a matrix, we must use this symbol "→", not "=", or else marks will be reduced.
I ask him why, but I not exactly remember what he said.

so, I got confuse, ... because of this symbol, sometimes when I am asked to reduce a matrix, I afraid of exchanging rows, etc, because I thought it's not a system.

thank you, very helpful

Your TA said that because the equal sign has a specific meaning. If you write, for example,
[tex]\begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 2 \\ 3 & 4 \end{pmatrix},[/tex] it means that a=1, b=2, c=3, and d=4. If you have the matrix [itex]\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 2 \\ 1 & 3 \end{pmatrix}[/itex] and you subtract row 1 from row 2, it wouldn't make sense to write
[tex] \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 2 \\ 1 & 3 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 2 \\ 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex] because you'd be saying that 1=0 and 3=1, which is obviously nonsense.

The symbol for equivalence is used more often, I believe. In fact, I don't recall seeing an arrow used in this context.

Using vela's example, we would have
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1&2 \\ 1 & 3\end{bmatrix} \equiv \begin{bmatrix}1&2 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Here the two matrices are equivalent.
The first matrix could represent the system of equations
x + 2y = 0
x + 3y = 0

The system above is equivalent to this system:
x + 2y = 0
0x + y = 0

Notice that it wouldn't make any sense to call the two systems of equations "equal."

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used in linear algebra to represent and manipulate data or equations.

What are the different types of matrices?

There are several types of matrices, including square matrices, rectangular matrices, diagonal matrices, identity matrices, and zero matrices. Each type has its own unique properties and uses in linear algebra.

How do you add or subtract matrices?

To add or subtract matrices, their dimensions must be the same. You simply add or subtract the corresponding elements in each matrix to get the resulting matrix.

What is matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is a binary operation that involves multiplying two matrices to create a new matrix. It follows a specific set of rules, including that the number of columns in the first matrix must equal the number of rows in the second matrix.

What are the practical applications of matrices?

Matrices have many practical applications in fields such as computer graphics, economics, physics, engineering, and data analysis. They are used to solve systems of equations, perform transformations, and represent data in a structured way.