1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QUICK QUESTION about matrix (linear algebra)

1. Dec 17, 2011 #1
    Hello guys,
    I am wondering, could a elementary row operation be done to a matrix without changing it.

I know that if we have the SYSTEM, then we could exchange rows, scalar multiplication of a row, linear combination of one rows.

but if we are only given a matrix, and we are asked to row reduce that matrix, could we still do scalar multiplication of a rows, exchange rows, etc?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup. You can think of row-reducing a matrix by itself as essentially solving the system Ax=0, which is something you might want to do to show that vectors are linearly independent, that the kernel of a linear map is trivial, etc. There's really no point in tacking on a column of zeros to form an enhanced matrix since the row operations will leave it unchanged.

4. Dec 17, 2011 #3
    Thank you for your reply.
    I remember my TA told me that when we are doing row reduction for a matrix, we must use this symbol "→", not "=", or else marks will be reduced.
    I ask him why, but I not exactly remember what he said.

so, I got confuse, .... because of this symbol, sometimes when I am asked to reduce a matrix, I afraid of exchanging rows, etc, because I thought it's not a system.

thank you, very helpful

5. Dec 17, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your TA said that because the equal sign has a specific meaning. If you write, for example,
    [tex]\begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 2 \\ 3 & 4 \end{pmatrix},[/tex] it means that a=1, b=2, c=3, and d=4. If you have the matrix [itex]\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 2 \\ 1 & 3 \end{pmatrix}[/itex] and you subtract row 1 from row 2, it wouldn't make sense to write
    [tex] \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 2 \\ 1 & 3 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 2 \\ 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex] because you'd be saying that 1=0 and 3=1, which is obviously nonsense.

6. Dec 18, 2011 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The symbol for equivalence is used more often, I believe. In fact, I don't recall seeing an arrow used in this context.

Using vela's example, we would have
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1&2 \\ 1 & 3\end{bmatrix} \equiv \begin{bmatrix}1&2 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Here the two matrices are equivalent.
    The first matrix could represent the system of equations
    x + 2y = 0
    x + 3y = 0

The system above is equivalent to this system:
    x + 2y = 0
    0x + y = 0

Notice that it wouldn't make any sense to call the two systems of equations "equal."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook