Quick question (not homework) just wondering

• Thread starter failedphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary: One more equation to consider is the Euler-Lagrange equation, which is usually used when a body is in a constrained or interacting motion (we'll see an example of this later).In summary, the ball would go 3.6 seconds up in the air before it was caught, and would be 9.81 meters away from the floor at that point.
failedphysics
If I throw a ball vertically in the air and catch it again at the exact same height after 3.6 seconds. (looking away from air resistance)

So the question is: 1. How big is the starting speed? (v0) And how far in the air would the ball go?

2. If we were not to catch the ball it would've hit the floor after 3.9 seconds after we threw it. How far away from the floor is that starting point?

I think if you put v = 0 (when it's at its highest point) and you got g ofc (9.81m/s) But I really can't figure it out.. which formulas to use etc, I feel like I have too little information? But if I set v = 0 and calculate the time and the distance to the highest point I think I can solve it... only problem is that I don't know how to calculate the first part of the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to find out the time taken for the ball to reach the apex of its trajectory. Then, as you said, it's velocity there is zero so you can solve for vo using a kinematic equation.

Even though this may not be h/w, I believe it still belongs in that section.

What do you mean? kinematic equation? You mean the Ek =1/2mv^2 and 1/2mv0^2 and the Ep=mgh stuff?

Couldn't figure out how to type the mv thingy with the start speed v0 and also put it as ^

Actually I didn't pay attention in the first physics I had so I am very bad on these formulas. Never really learned it, I have to learn it now! Can you show me or something?

Yes, even though this is not actually a homework question, it is a homework-type question (asking for help in solving a specific exercise) and therefore belongs in the homework forums.

Because you've already gotten some help, I've move this thread for you. In the future please use the correct forum for questions like this. Read the "How to ask for help" post that is pinned at the top of this (new) forum, and fill out all sections of the template that is provided when you start a new thread in this forum.

(and welcome to Physics Forums!)

failedphysics said:
What do you mean? kinematic equation?
There is a collection of useful standard kinematic equations that apply when acceleration is constant. They can be derived easily enough by calculus, but it's worth learning them.
Using s = distance traversed, a = acceleration, u = initial speed, v= final speed (many use vi, vf for these), t for elapsed time:
v = u + at (obvious... increase in speed = accn * time)
s = ut + at2/2 (integrate eqn above)
v2 - u2 = 2as (this is the same as the conservation of work you hinted at, but with the m canceled out)
s/t = (u+v)/2 (two expressions for average speed)
Note that each references a different four of the five variables. So to pick which equation to use, just see which three variables you are given and which you want to determine.

1. What are some common examples of "quick questions"?

Some common examples of quick questions include asking for a recommendation, seeking clarification on a topic, or looking for a brief explanation.

2. Is it appropriate to ask "quick questions" in a professional setting?

It depends on the context and the nature of the question. In a formal meeting or presentation, it may be best to save questions for a designated Q&A session. However, in a casual conversation with colleagues, quick questions can be appropriate.

3. How can I ensure my "quick question" is not seen as a nuisance or interruption?

To avoid being seen as a nuisance, it is important to be respectful of others' time and priorities. Make sure your question is relevant and concise, and try to ask at an appropriate time (e.g. not during a busy or important moment).

4. Can "quick questions" be used as a way to avoid doing my own research?

It is not advisable to rely solely on asking quick questions instead of doing your own research. It is important to take the initiative to learn and find answers on your own, and use quick questions as a supplement or for clarification.

5. How can I effectively respond to a "quick question" as a scientist?

As a scientist, it is important to be knowledgeable and approachable when responding to quick questions. Try to provide a clear and concise answer, and if you are unsure, offer to do further research or direct the person to a reliable source. It is also important to be patient and respectful when answering quick questions.