1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Quick question on Euler's Theorem

  1. Dec 2, 2007 #1
    Ok, in my diffeq book, we're doing work on getting eigenvectors to complex eigenvalues.

    anyway the author of the book only mentions Euler's Theorem as: http://rogercortesi.com/eqn/tempimagedir/eqn5095.png [Broken]
    and so he perfers to work with http://rogercortesi.com/eqn/tempimagedir/eqn7868.png [Broken] when the roots are eqn3362.png

    So my question:

    What is this called then?: eqn9909.png
    and can i use in place for eqn4478.png and still call it Euler's Theorem?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2007 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    It's called "Euler's theorem with -t substituted for t after applying the identity sin(-t)=-sin(t)". Does it really need a name?
  4. Dec 4, 2007 #3
    Thx for that. I was sorta expecting some kind of identity to do that.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook