Can You Move the Sigma Sign in a Sum? | Math Assignment Help and Tips

• Thread starter Fert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sums
In summary, the cosine of the angle alpha + r\beta would be the cosine of alpha + r\beta + sin(\alpha + r\beta)\frac{\sin(\frac{n\beta}{2})}{\sin(\frac{\beta}{2})}
Fert
If I have a problem like
(N) sigma (K=0) Cos(Kpi)

can I just move the sigma sign inside the brackets? like

Cos(pi Sigma K)

just wondering because I have this on an assignment problem and we didn't learn it in class and the textbook doesn't cover it either. If I can move it inside the answer is easy so I am just assuming that's how to do it.

Also, how do you guys write all the math symbols, etc. I see them in other posts but I am pretty much useless on a computer so I have no idea how to do it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you can't just move it inside. For example, consider:

[tex]\sum\limits_{k=1}^3 \cos(k\pi) = \cos(\pi) + \cos(2\pi) + \cos(3\pi)[/tex]

whereas

[tex]\cos(\pi \sum\limits_{k=1}^3 k) = \cos(\pi(1 + 2 + 3)) = \cos(6\pi)[/tex]

These are not the same thing.

(To see how the maths was displayed, click on the displayed equations.)

Yeah, I see what your saying. I tried it out after I posted. The problem is I don't have an end number to evaluate it at, but I have a formula for [tex]\sum\ limits_{K=0}^n K[/tex]. I'm thinking because there is no no number to evaluate it at that the answer is just a general formula, like n(n+1)/2 but our textbook desn't cover it and we didn't take it in class.

sorry about that mess with the sigma sign in the middle, I tried to edit it but it was going to delete it.

I guess it will take a little practice writting with that stuff.

If in doubt of sums, just write out the first terms of the sum in full.
Sometimes you can see where the sum is heading in infinity...

Greetz,
Leo

Well you know what you might be interested in this

[tex]\sum_{r = 0}^{n-1} \cos(\alpha + r\beta) = \cos(\alpha + \frac{n-1}{2}\beta) \frac{\sin(\frac{n\beta}{2})}{\sin(\frac{\beta}{2})}[/tex]

and you can prove this too :-)

For your problem, you'd first note that the angles are in arithmetic progression and the above expression would be used with

[tex]\alpha = 0[/tex]
[tex]\beta = \pi[/tex]

Cheers
Vivek

What is a "Quick question on sums"?

A "Quick question on sums" is a type of mathematical problem that involves adding together a series of numbers to find a total or sum.

How do I solve a "Quick question on sums"?

To solve a "Quick question on sums", you must first identify the numbers that need to be added together. Then, add these numbers together using the proper mathematical operation (typically addition) to find the sum.

What is the purpose of "Quick question on sums" in science?

In science, "Quick question on sums" are often used to calculate and analyze data. By adding together various quantities, scientists can determine the total amount or average value of a set of data.

What are some tips for solving "Quick question on sums" quickly and accurately?

Some tips for solving "Quick question on sums" quickly and accurately include organizing the numbers in a clear and logical manner, double-checking your work, and using mental math strategies to simplify the problem.

Can "Quick question on sums" be used for more complex calculations?

Yes, "Quick question on sums" can be used for more complex calculations. For example, they can be used to find the sum of a series of decimal numbers or to solve multi-step problems that involve addition and subtraction.