Quick question on the conservation of angular momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of angular momentum and its conservation when no torque is applied to a moving point mass. The example of a string pulling a point mass is used to demonstrate how, even when the distance between the point mass and the center is decreased, the angular momentum remains unchanged. However, the question arises as to how the angular velocity can increase in this scenario. Possible explanations are given, such as the conservation of energy and the concept of moment of inertia. The conversation ends with the conclusion that angular momentum does not increase, but that angular velocity can increase due to factors such as radial and tangential acceleration.
LiftHeavy13
okay, i realize that the angular momentum of a moving point mass could be looked at about any point, and that angular momentum is conserved as long as no torque is acted on that point mass. but, something i don't understand is how, then, the angular velocity could increase if the moment of inertia decreases.

Here me out:

We have a string moving a point mass on a horizontal table at a constant speed in a radius of R1. The angular momentum of the point mass about the center of the circle is L1. Now, we pull the spring in, decreasing the distance between the point mass and the center to R2. Technically, since the force always acted parallel/antiparallel to the radial vector from the center to the point mass, no torque was done on the point mass about the center, and angular momentum is conserved... But we decreased the distance between them, and therefore the moment of inertia of the point mass about the center. Hence, the angular momentum of the point mass about the center increased... But how is this possible if there was no torque done on the point mass about the center and therefore no angular acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
The angular velocity of the particle increases as you draw it inward, the moment of inertia decreases, and their product - the angular momentum, remains unchanged.

Correct me if I am wrong people :)

There was an acceleration. The speed increased and the mass stayed the same. The inertia concept can be demonstrated with in a experiment that has two wheels of identical weight and diameter on a incline. One wheel is solid and the other is ring shaped without the center. The solid wheel accelerates faster because its inertia is less even though they weigh the same. I can't explain this concept much further but this might help.

hello, Liftheavy 13, i think you should think about the conservation of energy which is 1/2 I w^2, where I=moment of inertia and w= angular velocity..
i think this should explain..

dev70 said:
hello, Liftheavy 13, i think you should think about the conservation of energy which is 1/2 I w^2, where I=moment of inertia and w= angular velocity..
i think this should explain..

No, energy is not conserved, the particle is being subjected to a force.

Rap said:
No, energy is not conserved, the particle is being subjected to a force.

ok..i understand..but as per liftheavy angular momentum should increase? why? as no external torque is applied angular momentum is always conserved. so, IW remains constant. and the angular velocity changes as per the above equation.

The classic example is the figure skater doing twirls. When one pulls one's limbs in, it decreases the moment of inertia, so the angular velocity increases. The angular momentum stays the same.

At a microscopic level, I suppose you could picture the molecules moving on average about the center of mass with some linear velocity perpendicular to the direction to the center of mass. If these molecules are pulled in toward the center of mass, the linear velocity doesn't change (conservation of linear momentum), but the same linear velocity becomes a larger angular velocity because it's closer.

(edit: Oops ignore the second statement.)

Last edited:
Khashishi said:
The classic example is the figure skater doing twirls. When one pulls one's limbs in, it decreases the moment of inertia, so the angular velocity increases. The angular momentum stays the same.

So far, so good.

At a microscopic level, I suppose you could picture the molecules moving on average about the center of mass with some linear velocity perpendicular to the direction to the center of mass. If these molecules are pulled in toward the center of mass, the linear velocity doesn't change (conservation of linear momentum), but the same linear velocity becomes a larger angular velocity because it's closer.

As has been pointed out already in this thread, the linear momentum does change. There are a number of ways to think about this.

1. The skater has to exert significant force to draw his or her arms in. That force does work on the arms, increasing their kinetic energy. If their kinetic energy increases, it follows that their linear velocity has increased.

2. Moment of inertia scales as the square of radius. If you scale down the radius by a factor of two and conserve angular momentum, it follows that angular velocity increases by a factor of four. It is then clear that linear velocity has increased by a factor of two.

3. As you reel in an object on a string the only force is radial -- there is no torque. But the radial direction and the tangential direction are not at right angles as an object is pulled in on a spiral trajectory. There is a net tangential acceleration. So the object ends up moving faster than it started.

okay... that still didn't answer the question. how can angular velocity increase if there is no net torque and therefore no angular acceleration?

Last edited:
LiftHeavy13 said:
okay... that still didn't answer the question. how can angular momentum increase if there is no net torque and therefore no angular acceleration?
It doesn't.

bp_psy said:
It doesn't.

yeah, sorry made a quick edit. no one has answered it yet, not even my teacher. lol, it makes no sense at all

Why is this so hard? L=I w where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, w is angular velocity. As you draw the object inward, I goes down, w goes up, L stays the same. Angular momentum does not increase. Moment of inertia goes down. Angular velocity goes up.

Rap said:
Why is this so hard? L=I w where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, w is angular velocity. As you draw the object inward, I goes down, w goes up, L stays the same. Angular momentum does not increase. Moment of inertia goes down. Angular velocity goes up.

hey, maybe you should read what I'm asking. I know that angular momentum is conserved; I even stated that in the OP. My question is, once again, how angular velocity can increase if the net toque is zero and therefore angular acceleration is zero.

The force from the string on the point mass is not perpendicular to the spiral path of the mass that occurs when the string is pulled in or released out. There's a non-zero component of force in the direction of the mass, which speeds up (or slows down if tension reduced) the point mass.

Take a look at post #3 of this thread, which also includes the math to show that the (internal) work done equals the change in kinetic energy. Post #4 of this thread shows the case where the speed of the point mass is kept constant by winding (or unwinding) a string around a pole, but in this case angular momentum is not conserved unless you include the effect of the torque exerted on the central pole.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=328121

Last edited:
LiftHeavy13 said:
hey, maybe you should read what I'm asking. I know that angular momentum is conserved; I even stated that in the OP. My question is, once again, how angular velocity can increase if the net toque is zero and therefore angular acceleration is zero.

Because net torque of zero does not imply that angular acceleration is zero. Torque is not equal to the moment of inertia times the angular acceleration. This is only true when the moment of inertia is constant. The complete definition of torque is that it is the time rate of change of angular momentum. [itex]\tau=dL/dt[/itex] where [itex]L=I\omega[/itex], where [itex]\tau[/itex] is torque, [itex]L[/itex] is angular momentum, [itex]I[/itex] is moment of inertia and [itex]\omega[/itex] is angular velocity. This means that [tex]\tau=I \frac{d\omega}{dt}+\omega\frac{dI}{dt}[/tex] [itex]\tau=I \frac{d\omega}{dt}[/itex] is NOT true in this case. Sorry, I did not understand what it was that you did not understand.

Last edited:
Rap said:
Because net torque of zero does not imply that angular acceleration is zero. Torque is not equal to the moment of inertia times the angular acceleration. This is only true when the moment of inertia is constant. The complete definition of torque is that it is the time rate of change of angular momentum. [itex]\tau=dL/dt[/itex] where [itex]L=I\omega[/itex], where [itex]\tau[/itex] is torque, [itex]L[/itex] is angular momentum, [itex]I[/itex] is moment of inertia and [itex]\omega[/itex] is angular velocity. This means that [tex]\tau=I \frac{d\omega}{dt}+\omega\frac{dI}{dt}[/tex] [itex]\tau=I \frac{d\omega}{dt}[/itex] is NOT true in this case. Sorry, I did not understand what it was that you did not understand.

Actually, you could set τ=0 to get:

[itex]\frac{d\omega}{dt}=-\frac{\omega}{I}\frac{dI}{dt}\ne 0[/itex]

Here is your angular acceleration...

Rap said:

jesus, how did i not see that... thanks so much

1. What is angular momentum and why is it conserved?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to rotate around an axis. It is conserved because of the law of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

The formula for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion and is dependent on its mass and distribution.

3. Can angular momentum be transferred between objects?

Yes, angular momentum can be transferred between objects. This is known as angular momentum conservation and is applicable to both isolated and non-isolated systems. For example, when a spinning ice skater extends their arms, their moment of inertia decreases and their angular velocity increases, causing their angular momentum to remain constant.

4. How does the conservation of angular momentum apply to celestial bodies?

The conservation of angular momentum applies to celestial bodies, such as planets and stars, as they rotate around their axes and orbit around each other. The total angular momentum of a system of celestial bodies remains constant, even if there are external forces acting on them, such as gravitational forces from other bodies.

5. How does angular momentum affect the stability of rotating objects?

Angular momentum plays a crucial role in determining the stability of rotating objects. Objects with high angular momentum tend to be more stable, as they have a greater resistance to changes in their rotational motion. This is why gyroscopes, which have high angular momentum, are used to maintain stability in various applications, such as navigation systems and spacecrafts.