Quick question regarding the def. of this function.

• Thread starter Je m'appelle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses a function defined piecewise with two different values in two different intervals. There is a question about the accuracy of the definition, which is determined to be a typo. The correct definition should have -pi <= x < 0 in the second interval.
Je m'appelle
I have to find the Fourier Series of the following function

[tex]f(x) = \begin{cases} 1, & \mbox{if } 0 \leq x \leq \pi, \\ -1, & \mbox{if } 0 \leq x < 0. \end{cases}[/tex]

My question is, is the above definition for the function f(x) correct? How can the function have two values at x = 0? Could it be a typo?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's probably supposed to be -pi <= x < 0 in the second line.

The way it appears now (second line reads 0≤x<0), no, it's not correct, but I'm guessing that's your typo, not the problem's. I assume that was supposed to be -π≤x<0.

hgfalling said:
It's probably supposed to be -pi <= x < 0 in the second line.

That's precisely what I was thinking about, I just wasn't so sure if there was some special condition or anything like that. Then it really is a typo. Thanks hgfalling.

vela said:
The way it appears now (second line reads 0≤x<0), no, it's not correct, but I'm guessing that's your typo, not the problem's. I assume that was supposed to be -π≤x<0.

It has been posted exactly as it is in the problem, that was the whole point of this thread. But I can see it now that it really is a typo, I just needed a confirmation. Thanks vela.

Oh, OK. It's just that your question about two values at x=0 didn't really make sense to me as there are no values of x such that 0≤x<0 (so the second line would never matter).

1. What is the definition of a function?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two variables, where each input has a unique output.

2. How can I determine if a given relation is a function?

A relation is a function if each input has only one corresponding output. This can be checked by using the vertical line test, where a vertical line is drawn through the graph of the relation and if it intersects the graph more than once, then the relation is not a function.

3. What is the difference between a one-to-one function and an onto function?

A one-to-one function is a function where each input has a unique output, and each output has a unique input. An onto function, also known as a surjective function, is a function where every element in the output has at least one corresponding input.

4. How do I find the domain and range of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible inputs, while the range is the set of all possible outputs. To find the domain, look at the values of the independent variable (usually x) that are allowed in the function. To find the range, look at the resulting values of the dependent variable (usually y) for all the allowed inputs.

5. Can a function have more than one independent variable?

No, a function can only have one independent variable. However, it can have multiple dependent variables.