Integers n and m: Does the Sum of Sines Equal Zero?

• Thread starter Xkaliber
  • Start date
In summary, the expression given is not defined if m=n, as the first denominator becomes 0. Otherwise, it depends on the values of L, m, and n. If trying to show proper normalization of a wave function, this expression being equal to 0 would result in the correct answer.
Xkaliber
If n and m are integers and L is a positive number, does this equal zero?

[tex]\frac{sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}-\frac{m\pi}{L})}{\frac{n\pi}{L}-\frac{m\pi}{L}}-\frac{sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}+\frac{m\pi}{L})}{\frac{n\pi}{L}+\frac{m\pi}{L}}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
if m=n, this expression is not defined because the first denominator is 0.

Otherwise, it depends on what L, m and n are.

If you want to know if your equation is valid for any n,m, L whatever, try a numerical counter-exemple: plug say L=1.3, m=1, n=4.

Last edited:
Since sin(n*Pi) = 0 only when n is an integer, in my previous case, it depends on the value of L, correct?

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I am actually trying to show that a certain wave function is properly normalized and needed this to be 0 to have the correct answer. I'll move this discussion over to the physics subforum.

1. What are integers n and m?

Integers n and m are whole numbers that can be positive, negative, or zero. They are used in mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. What is the sum of sines?

The sum of sines refers to the result when two or more sine functions are added together. It is a mathematical concept often used in trigonometry and calculus.

3. How do you determine if the sum of sines equals zero?

To determine if the sum of sines equals zero, you can use mathematical techniques such as the sum-to-product identities or the Pythagorean identities. These techniques can help simplify the expression and determine if it results in zero.

4. What is SEO-optimized content?

SEO-optimized content refers to written or digital content that is strategically crafted to improve its search engine ranking. This involves using keywords, headings, and other techniques to make the content more visible to search engines and increase its chances of being seen by a larger audience.

5. How can SEO-optimized content improve visibility?

SEO-optimized content can improve visibility by making it more likely for the content to appear higher in search engine results. This can lead to increased traffic and exposure for the content, potentially reaching a larger audience and increasing its impact and relevance.