Easy Radical Simplification Exercises for Homework | Quick Tips and Solutions

• Thread starter MathJakob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radical
In summary: It's just written in a different form. Some teachers will ask you to do this, and some will not. If you're ever asked to rationalize the denominator, this is how you would do it. You're not going to be able to simplify it any further than this.In summary, the first expression can be simplified to ##\frac{\sqrt{6}}{9\sqrt{y}}##. The second expression cannot be simplified. The third expression can be simplified to ##\frac{a^3}{\sqrt{2}}##. The fourth expression can be simplified to ##\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}\sqrt{\frac{3}{a}}##. The fifth expression can be
MathJakob

Homework Statement

Simplify: ##\sqrt{\frac{6}{81y^6}}##

The Attempt at a Solution

If it was just ##\sqrt{\frac{6}{81y}}## I can just say ##\frac{\sqrt{6}}{9\sqrt{y}}## but the power 6 is throwing me off.

Just a couple more to save me making more topics. ##\sqrt{\frac{a^5}{2}}## can't be simplified?

And... ##\sqrt[4]{\frac{2a^8}{b^2c^3}}## I know I need to multiply it by something but I just can't see it.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If a^3 * a^3 = a^6, then what is SQRT (a^6)?

SteamKing said:
If a^3 * a^3 = a^6, then what is SQRT (a^6)?

##\sqrt{a^6}=a^3##

Thanks. What about the others? Any comment for them?

MathJakob said:
Just a couple more to save me making more topics. ##\sqrt{\frac{a^5}{2}}## can't be simplified?

This one is a similar idea to the last one. The [tex]a^5[/tex] can be broken apart into some factors that are perfect squares. For instance, [tex]a^4*a[/tex]

From that point then, can you simplify it anymore?

The 2 doesn't have a square root, obviously. Do they ask you to rationalize the denominator?

With the more complicated one, remember that any even root can be seen in terms of square roots. Recall that if you have [tex] \sqrt(a^2)[/tex], the root and the power cancel each other.

MathJakob said:
##\sqrt{a^6}=a^3##

Thanks. What about the others? Any comment for them?

Be careful here: if ##a \geq 0## then ##\sqrt{a^6} = a^3,## but if ##a < 0## then ##\sqrt{a^6} = -a^3 \: (> 0!).## The best way to handle both cases at once is to write ##\sqrt{a^6} = |a|^3.##

Note: the symbol ##\sqrt{}## customarily means the non-negative root; if we want a negative root we write ##-\sqrt{}##.

QuantumCurt said:
This one is a similar idea to the last one. The [tex]a^5[/tex] can be broken apart into some factors that are perfect squares. For instance, [tex]a^4*a[/tex]

From that point then, can you simplify it anymore?

##\sqrt{\frac{a^5}{2}}=\sqrt{\frac{a^4\times a}{2}}## = ##\sqrt{\frac{a^2\cdot a}{2}}## = ##\frac{a^3}{\sqrt{2}}## is this better?

QuantumCurt said:
Do they ask you to rationalize the denominator?

No

Read posts #4 and #5 carefully. The root index is 2, so every two occurrence of the same factor can be put to the outside of the radical symbol as ONE occurrence.

[itex]\sqrt{\frac{a^5}{2}}[/itex]
[itex]\sqrt{\frac{a^2a^2a}{2}}[/itex]
[itex]a^{2}\sqrt{\frac{a}{2}}[/itex]

and then you want to rationalize the denominator.

Likes 1 person
MathJakob said:
##\sqrt{\frac{a^5}{2}}=\sqrt{\frac{a^4\times a}{2}}## = ##\sqrt{\frac{a^2\cdot a}{2}}## = ##\frac{a^3}{\sqrt{2}}## is this better?

That's close. We broke apart the a^5 though so that would find factors of it that are an even power. Remember, when taking the square root of an even numbered exponent, you can just cut the exponent in half, and you'll have the square root. So, when we break the a^5 apart into a^4*a, we can simplify the a^4.

##\sqrt{\frac{a^5}{2}}=\sqrt{\frac{a^4\times a}{2}}## = ##\sqrt{\frac{a^4\cdot a}{2}}## = ##a^2\frac{\sqrt{a}}{\sqrt{2}}##

Which is the same thing as [itex]a^{2}\sqrt{\frac{a}{2}}[/itex]

Remember that when you take the square root of something, it goes out in front of the radical. If there is nothing left inside of the radical after taking the root of something, then the radical goes away.

Sinse this book I'm working from doesn't have answers I'm relying on Wolfram but sometimes it goes a bit weird. Is this right because wolfram is telling me I'm wrong (again)

##\sqrt{\frac{3}{5b^5}} = \sqrt{\frac{3}{5b^2b^2b}} = b^2\sqrt{\frac{3}{5b}}## ?

Wolfram tells me the answer is ##\sqrt{\frac{3}{5}} \sqrt{\frac{1}{a^5}}##

and this one: ##\sqrt{\frac{15}{8b^3}} = \sqrt{\frac{15}{8b\cdot b\cdot b}} = b\sqrt{\frac{15}{8b}}## ?

again wolfram tells me the answer is ##\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}\sqrt{\frac{15}{2}}\sqrt{\frac{1}{b^3}}##

Sorry for keep adding extra questions lol but it stops me spamming new topics.

##\sqrt{\frac{9}{50xy^7}} = \frac{3}{5y^3\sqrt{2xy}}## is this correct?

Last edited:
MathJakob said:
##\sqrt{\frac{3}{5b^5}} = \sqrt{\frac{3}{5b^2b^2b}} = b^2\sqrt{\frac{3}{5b}}## ?

Wolfram tells me the answer is ##\sqrt{\frac{3}{5}} \sqrt{\frac{1}{a^5}}##

You got it right. Wolfram did that in a weird way. You can certainly factor and separate what's inside the radical like Wolfram did. [itex]\sqrt{\frac{b}{ax}}[/itex] is the same thing as [itex]\sqrt{\frac{b}{a}}\sqrt{\frac{1}{x}}[/itex] Though I don't know why Wolfram didn't simplify the [itex]b^5[/itex]

edit- Whoops, I wasn't paying attention. You're close, but remember that the variable was in the denominator of the expression within the radical.

That would give you-

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{b^2\sqrt{5b}}[/tex]

Or you could separate it into-

[tex]\frac{1}{b^2} \sqrt{\frac{3}{5b}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
MathJakob said:
and this one: ##\sqrt{\frac{15}{8b^3}} = \sqrt{\frac{15}{8b\cdot b\cdot b}} = b\sqrt{\frac{15}{8b}}## ?

again wolfram tells me the answer is ##\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}\sqrt{\frac{15}{2}}\sqrt{\frac{1}{b^3}}##

Wolfram is simplifying these in really unusual ways. I assume you're being asked to simplify this by removing the perfect squares from beneath the radical. You're close with this one.

[tex]b\sqrt{\frac{15}{8b}}[/tex]

What can you still do with that 8? Look at the factors of 8 and see if you can simplify it some more. Remember that the b was in the denominator of the expression under the radical as well.

##\sqrt{\frac{9}{50xy^7}} = \frac{3}{5y^3\sqrt{2xy}}## is this correct?

That is indeed correct.

Are you familiar with rationalizing the denominator? Algebra teachers often want you to remove the radical from the denominator.

QuantumCurt said:
Wolfram is simplifying these in really unusual ways. I assume you're being asked to simplify this by removing the perfect squares from beneath the radical. You're close with this one.

[tex]b\sqrt{\frac{15}{8b}}[/tex]

What can you still do with that 8? Look at the factors of 8 and see if you can simplify it some more. Remember that the b was in the denominator of the expression under the radical as well.

That is indeed correct.

Are you familiar with rationalizing the denominator? Algebra teachers often want you to remove the radical from the denominator.

Nah, the book hasn't mentioned anything about rationalising the denominator. Could you explain?

MathJakob said:
Nah, the book hasn't mentioned anything about rationalising the denominator. Could you explain?

When you're rationalizing the denominator, the goal is to remove the radical from the denominator. Since square roots of non-perfect squares result in irrational numbers, or infinite decimals that don't repeat, the process is called rationalizing. To do so, you multiply both top and bottom of the expression by the radical that is in the denominator.

QuantumCurt said:

I'll use this one as an example.

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{b^2\sqrt{5b}}\frac{\sqrt{5b}}{\sqrt{5b}}[/tex]

Note that we're multiplying the expression by [itex]\frac{\sqrt{5b}}{\sqrt{5b}}[/itex] which is the same thing as multiplying it by 1, which does not change the value of the expression. We're just multiplying it by 1 in such a way that it changes the way the expression is written.

Then we multiply both top and bottom-

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{b^2\sqrt{5b}}\frac{\sqrt{5b}}{\sqrt{5b}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}\sqrt{5b}}{b^2\sqrt{5b}\sqrt{5b}}[/tex]

Then we continue to simplify-

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{15b}}{b^2\sqrt{5^2b^2}}[/tex]

Then simplify the contents of the radical in the denominator-

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{15b}}{b^2(5b)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{15b}}{5b^3}[/tex]

Now you have a rational denominator. This resultant expression is exactly the same value as the original expression, we've just written in such a way that the denominator has been rationalized. The importance of doing this is somewhat negligible in many fields of math, but algebra teachers will often ask you to do it.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the purpose of "Easy Radical Simplification Exercises for Homework"?

The purpose of these exercises is to help students practice and improve their skills in simplifying radical expressions. This is an important concept in algebra and can be helpful in solving more complex equations.

2. How can these exercises help me in my homework?

By practicing these exercises, you will become more familiar and comfortable with simplifying radical expressions. This will make it easier for you to solve similar problems in your homework assignments and exams.

3. Are there any quick tips for simplifying radicals?

Yes, there are several quick tips that can make the process of simplifying radicals easier. These include factoring the radicand, using the product and quotient rules, and simplifying perfect squares and perfect cubes.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying radicals?

One common mistake is forgetting to simplify the radicand before combining like terms. It is also important to correctly apply the product and quotient rules when simplifying. Additionally, make sure to properly simplify all perfect squares and perfect cubes.

5. Are there any solutions or detailed explanations for these exercises?

Yes, detailed solutions and explanations are provided for each exercise. This will help you understand the steps and reasoning behind each simplification, allowing you to apply the same techniques to other problems.