Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick series convergence question

1. Oct 20, 2004 #1

DE7

Hey all, it's been a while since I've done series and I have a quick question. How would I show the convergence or divergence of [itex]\sum \left(\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n}\right)[/itex]? The ratio test is inconclusive I think, and I'm not sure how I would go about doing the root test. Or is there a series I could compare it to for the comparison test? Anyways, thanks, just need a little refresher.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2004 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could try the integral comparison test. Or you could try multiplying by the conjugate, this should make the series to compare with more transparent.

4. Oct 21, 2004 #3

DE7

Still not sure what to do...multiplying by the conjugate gives me something that doesn't seem so helpful to me, as I still can't find a comparison series. The limit comparison tests don't seem to be working either. Any more hints please?

5. Oct 21, 2004 #4

DE7

Never mind...got it.

6. Oct 21, 2004 #5
    Add them together you'll get f(n+1)-1, it's divergence.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?