SHM Q&A: Find Period given Max Speed & Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the period of simple harmonic motion given the maximum speed and acceleration. The mentor guides the student through relevant equations and helps them understand the relationship between displacement, velocity, and acceleration. The correct method is to differentiate the displacement function and set the maximum value of acceleration equal to the maximum acceleration. The mentor patiently explains and the student expresses gratitude for the help.
Niall103
<< Mentor Note -- thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown >>

Hello,

So I've been doing old practice questions on SHM to revise, and just been frustrating myself on this one for a bit. The question is:

"An object vibrating with simple harmonic motion has a maximum speed of 1.6 m s−1 and maximum magnitude of the acceleration of 8π m s−2. Calculate the period of the motion. "

I can't remember why, but I've divided the speed by 2*pi and then divided that by the acceleration [(1.6*2*pi) / 8*pi], and it's given me the correct answer of 0.40s but I can't quite understand why that's correct! Lol

Cheers,
Niall

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What relevant equations do you know that pertain to SHM? In particular, what equation is often used to write the position as a function of time?

gneill said:
What relevant equations do you know that pertain to SHM? In particular, what equation is often used to write the position as a function of time?

Do you mean: x(t) = Acos(ωt + φ)?

Niall103 said:
Do you mean: x(t) = Acos(ωt + φ)?
Sure. That'll work. Now, given that function for displacement, how might you find velocity?

gneill said:
Sure. That'll work. Now, given that function for displacement, how might you find velocity?

By differentiating, giving: v(t) = Aωsin(ωt + φ), and acceleration would therefore be: a(t) = -Aω2cos(ωt + φ)

Good, good. So you know how to move from displacement to velocity to acceleration through differentiating the function.

Since you're given a value for maximum speed, say V = 1.6 m/s, then your velocity function might be v(t) = V sin(ωt + φ), right? Can you work from there?

gneill said:
Good, good. So you know how to move from displacement to velocity to acceleration through differentiating the function.

Since you're given a value for maximum speed, say V = 1.6 m/s, then your velocity function might be v(t) = V sin(ωt + φ), right? Can you work from there?

I got to that point previously, but just wasn't sure what to do next. I feel like it should be obvious, but it just hasn't clicked

Niall103 said:
I got to that point previously, but just wasn't sure what to do next. I feel like it should be obvious, but it just hasn't clicked
Differentiate the velocity expression...

gneill said:
Differentiate the velocity expression...

Ok, dv(t) / dt = -Vωcos(ωt + φ)

What's the maximum value of the result?

gneill said:
What's the maximum value of the result?

I would think that is when the phase is equal to zero, giving cos(ωt + φ) = 1

Niall103 said:
I would think that is when the phase is equal to zero, giving cos(ωt + φ) = 1
Sure. And what is the maximum value? What multiplies the cosine function?

gneill said:
Sure. And what is the maximum value? What multiplies the cosine function?

dv(t)/dt = -Vω

Niall103 said:
Ok, dv(t) / dt = -Vωcos(ωt + φ)
I should have caught this earlier: the derivative of sin is cos, not -cos. Not that it'll affect the eventual result, but I thought I should point it out.
Niall103 said:
dv(t)/dt = -Vω
The magnitude of the value that multiplies the trig function is the important thing: Since sin and cos both range between +1 and -1, its the magnitude of the value multiplying the sin or cos that sets the maximum value of the function. In this case it's the maximum value of the acceleration, right? So don't write dv(t)/dt = -Vω since you've dropped the trig function and it's no longer a function of time. It's the maximum value. Instead, write A = Vω, where A is the maximum acceleration...

Likes Niall103
gneill said:
I should have caught this earlier: the derivative of sin is cos, not -cos. Not that it'll affect the eventual result, but I thought I should point it out.

The magnitude of the value that multiplies the trig function is the important thing: Since sin and cos both range between +1 and -1, its the magnitude of the value multiplying the sin or cos that sets the maximum value of the function. In this case it's the maximum value of the acceleration, right? So don't write dv(t)/dt = -Vω since you've dropped the trig function and it's no longer a function of time. It's the maximum value. Instead, write A = Vω, where A is the maximum acceleration...

Oh of course! Bloody hell. Yeah, thank you for going through that and having patience. I should have got this a hell of a lot easier, but it feels like one of those nights lol, thanks very much! Appreciate it.

No worries. Glad to have helped.

Likes Niall103

1. What is SHM?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion. It is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point.

2. How is period defined in SHM?

The period in SHM is the time it takes for one complete cycle or oscillation of the object.

3. How do you find the period in SHM if given the maximum speed and acceleration?

The period can be found using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant. The maximum speed and acceleration can be used to find the spring constant (k) using the formula k = mω², where ω is the angular frequency equal to 2π/T. Once the spring constant is known, the period can be calculated.

4. Can the period be affected by changes in the maximum speed and acceleration?

Yes, changes in the maximum speed and acceleration can affect the period in SHM. An increase in the maximum speed or acceleration will result in a shorter period, while a decrease will result in a longer period.

5. Is SHM only applicable to objects attached to springs?

No, SHM can occur in various systems such as pendulums, simple pendula, and mass-spring systems. It is not limited to objects attached to springs.