Why is it that the torque of the pin is not zero in this problem?

• Thread starter bcjochim07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the problem involves finding the torque exerted by the pin on the rod to keep it from rotating. However, there is confusion about whether the sum of torques around the pivot point should be zero or not. It is important to note that the torque from the pin is not located at the pivot point, but rather at the frictional forces between the pin and the walls of the hole. Therefore, the torque at the pivot point will not be zero and this is why the answer is not zero even though the rod is in static equilibrium.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

How much torque must the pin exert to keep the rod from rotating ?

atorque.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tnet=0= -(.500kg)(9.80)(.80m) - (2.0kg)(9.80)(.40m) + torque of pin
Torque of pin = 11.76 Nm which is correct, but I am confused about something

To get this answer I found the torque about the pin and said that the torque exerted by the pin must equal that. But I thought that for static equilibrium, the torque around each point had to be zero, and it is not 0 around the pin in this case. Why is this?

For other problems, my book suggests to pick a point as the pivot point. Then the torque of the forces at that point becomes zero and the sum of the torques of the other forces around this pivot must equal zero. This is what bothers me about this question. If I pick the pin as the pivot, shouldn't sum of torques exerted by gravity on the rod & mass = 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is indeed interesting... it seems that if you pick any of the points that forces are acting on, you will get an incorrect answer (or something that doesn't make sense). Can anyone shed light onto the situation, because I don't know.

If I'm understanding the picture correctly, the torque from the pin is from the frictional force between the sides of the pin and the walls of the hole that it is in. (There are other forces from the pin as well, but I think the point is that if the pin were frictionless it would be impossible for the beam to not rotate.)

So we can choose a pivot point at the center of the pin, but the frictional forces are not located there; they are a pin's radius away from the center, and so their torque about the center of the pin will not be zero.

This part of the problem would be rather analogous to sticking a pencil through an index card and spinning it. We can put the pivot point at the center of the pencil to calculate the torque, but the torque from the pencil on the card is not zero because the frictional forces between pencil and card (that cause the torque) are located at the surface of the pencil.

What is quick torque?

Quick torque is a measure of how fast an object rotates around an axis when a force is applied to it. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

Why is quick torque important?

Quick torque is important because it helps us understand how much force is needed to rotate an object. This is useful for designing machines and equipment, as well as for understanding how things move and function in the natural world.

How is quick torque calculated?

Quick torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The formula for calculating torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is distance.

What is the difference between quick torque and regular torque?

The main difference between quick torque and regular torque is the time frame in which the force is applied. Quick torque measures the rotational force applied over a short period of time, whereas regular torque measures the rotational force applied over a longer period of time.

How can quick torque be increased?

Quick torque can be increased by increasing the force applied to an object, or by increasing the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Another way to increase quick torque is by using a lever or gear system, which can amplify the force applied to an object.