Why Can Carbon Have Valences of +4 and -4?

• Thread starter ACLerok
  • Start date
In summary: In methanol (CH3OH), carbon is bonded to two oxygen atoms. The molecule is in the form of a carbonyl (C=O), which has a resonance structure. Methanol has a +2 oxidation state. Formaldehyde (H2C=O) is a zero valent carbon. It is not a member of the carbon family and thus its oxidation state is not represented by a number. Diamond and graphite are both examples of non-metals that have a +4 oxidation state because they have six valence electrons. Overall, oxidation states can be useful to predict chemical reactivity, but they are not always accurate. For example, ethanol (CH3CH2OH) has
ACLerok
I haven't taken a single Chem course for probably 3 years and I was asked a question which I couldn't answer. Basically, why can the valence of Carbon be either +4 or -4? I know it has something to do with the electron configuration.

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Basically, due to the four valence electrons that carbon has, it can either lose electrons or gain electrons to reach a noble gas configuration.

(Of course, carbon does have many other oxidation states than just plus/minus four--not that this answers the question)

Edit: Though technically, carbon usually forms covalent bonds, not ions, so it is actually sharing its four valence electrons, in most cases (aside from carbides, etc.).

Last edited:
ACLerok said:
I haven't taken a single Chem course for probably 3 years and I was asked a question which I couldn't answer. Basically, why can the valence of Carbon be either +4 or -4? I know it has something to do with the electron configuration.

Thanks.

You need to understand the difference between the terms of Valence and Oxidation states. Carbon bonds to four other atoms and usually this is with atoms of higher electronegativity or atoms of similar electronegativity. Carbon has been known to bond with transition metal elements although this phenomena is quite unique.

Carbon would have a state of +4 if it were bonded to four Oyxgens, something that I don't quite know of. The same argument applies with a theoretical oxidation state of -4 for Carbon meaning that I am not aware of any tetravalent metal - Carbon bonds.

Carbonyl carbons as esters are common, which is basically a Carbon bonded to two oxygens with one of the bonds being double bond. Not quite sure about this case with Carbons being Carbides.

Carbons valency can be either +4 or -4 because it can either lose 4 electrons to gain Helium electron configuration, or gain 4 to get Neons, but this rarely ever applies because as it loses those electrons, it gains positive charge, which attracts electrons back again. And as for gaining four electrons, as it gains those electrons, it gains negative charge, repelling electrons, making it hard to get those 4. I hope I am clear :(

Carbon participates in covalent bonding thus these electrons are shared however are allocated more towards elements such as Oxygen both positive and negatively charged species with the charge on the carbon exists however, if one really wants to know whether +4 or -4 charge would be favored in theory simply observe the successive ionization and electron affinity.

ACLerok, I suggest that you read up on the topic of Effective Nuclear Charge this relates directly to your question and should answer it.

GCT said:
Carbon participates in covalent bonding thus these electrons are shared however are allocated more towards elements such as Oxygen both positive and negatively charged species with the charge on the carbon exists however, if one really wants to know whether +4 or -4 charge would be favored in theory simply observe the successive ionization and electron affinity.

ACLerok, I suggest that you read up on the topic of Effective Nuclear Charge this relates directly to your question and should answer it.

Hi, would you explain more "Effective Nuclear Charge" please? I am confussing this part also. Thanks.

Would you count CO2 as a carbon bonded to four oxygens? What is the theoretical oxidation state of carbon in CO2? In CH4?

In CO2 i think carbon is bonded to 2 oxygen atoms and has a resonating structure. By the way is oxidation state of carbon in CO2 '+4' and CH4 '-4' ?

HALO3 said:
In CO2 i think carbon is bonded to 2 oxygen atoms and has a resonating structure. By the way is oxidation state of carbon in CO2 '+4' and CH4 '-4' ?

Correct. You will note that in both examples, there are four bonds to the other atoms (oxygen and hydrogen). The bonds are both covalent in nature but they are somewhat different based on polarity. The oxygen-containing carbon compound is indeed +4 and the hydrogen-containing one is -4. These oxidation states are merely formalities that reflect the differences in electronegativity rather than purely an oxidation state as you might have seen in some inorganic compounds.

Things get more complicated with other carbon compounds that contain both hydrogen and oxygen. How about methanol (CH3OH)? What is the oxidation state here? Is it +2? Is formaldehyde (H2C=O) a zero valent carbon like diamond or graphite? How useful is it to use oxidation states in these examples to predict chemical reactivity? And welcome to the wild and crazy world of organic chemistry...

1. Why is carbon able to have valences of both +4 and -4?

Carbon has four valence electrons, which means it has four electrons in its outermost energy level. This allows carbon to form four covalent bonds with other atoms, resulting in a valence of +4. On the other hand, carbon can also gain four electrons to form an ionic bond, resulting in a valence of -4.

2. What determines whether carbon will have a valence of +4 or -4?

The valence of carbon is determined by the type of bond it forms with other atoms. If it forms a covalent bond, it will have a valence of +4. If it forms an ionic bond, it will have a valence of -4.

3. How does carbon's ability to have valences of +4 and -4 impact its chemical properties?

Carbon's ability to form both covalent and ionic bonds allows it to participate in a wide range of chemical reactions and form a variety of compounds. This versatility makes carbon essential for life and the basis for organic chemistry.

4. Are there any other elements that can have valences of +4 and -4?

Yes, there are other elements that can have valences of +4 and -4, such as silicon and germanium. These elements also have four valence electrons, allowing them to have similar chemical properties to carbon.

5. Can carbon have other valences besides +4 and -4?

Yes, carbon can have other valences depending on the molecule it is a part of. For example, in carbon monoxide (CO), carbon has a valence of +2, and in methane (CH4), it has a valence of -4. This variability in valence allows carbon to form a vast number of compounds with different properties.