Confusion with molecular geometry [carbon tetrachloride]

In summary, confusion exists with the molecular geometry of carbon tetrachloride. It is difficult to rationalize the shape of the molecule without considering the electron distribution around the central atom. Additionally, the geometry of the molecule can be changed by considering lone pairs around other atoms.
sinjan.j

I'm trying to understand the molecular geometry of four different compounds:

[itex]CCl_{4} ,CHCl_{3} ,CH_{2}Cl_{2} ,CH_{3}Cl[/itex]

Please tell me whether my thinking is right or not[conceptually]. If it's wrong kindly correct me.

for [itex]CCl_{4}[/itex]

Carbon forms 4 different single bonds with chlorine. While deciding the shape of the molecule, we have to take into consideration the lone pairs and bond pairs of carbon. Since, lone pairs of carbon don't exist, we have to make sure that the angle between the bond pairs of electron of carbon is maximum and that is possible through tetrahedral arrangement. So, the shape is tetrahedral.

for [itex]CHCl_{3} , CH_{2}Cl_{2} , CH_{3}Cl[/itex]

Same as the above arguement, therefore tetrahedral.

Am I right?

I have another doubt. While deciding the geomerty of the molecules, why do we have to consider the electrons of the valence shell of the central atom only, and why not the electrons of the valence shell of the peripheral atoms?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
sinjan.j said:

I'm trying to understand the molecular geometry of four different compounds:

[itex]CCl_{4} ,CHCl_{3} ,CH_{2}Cl_{2} ,CH_{3}Cl[/itex]

Please tell me whether my thinking is right or not[conceptually]. If it's wrong kindly correct me.

for [itex]CCl_{4}[/itex]

Carbon forms 4 different single bonds with chlorine. While deciding the shape of the molecule, we have to take into consideration the lone pairs and bond pairs of carbon. Since, lone pairs of carbon don't exist, we have to make sure that the angle between the bond pairs of electron of carbon is maximum and that is possible through tetrahedral arrangement. So, the shape is tetrahedral.

for [itex]CHCl_{3} , CH_{2}Cl_{2} , CH_{3}Cl[/itex]

Same as the above arguement, therefore tetrahedral.

Am I right?

Yes you are correct.

sinjan.j said:
I have another doubt. While deciding the geomerty of the molecules, why do we have to consider the electrons of the valence shell of the central atom only, and why not the electrons of the valence shell of the peripheral atoms?

You don't have to, it just doesn't make sense to talk about the geometry about the chlorine in carbon tetrachloride. Water adopts a bent geometry because of the lone pairs on the Oxygen, we don't really talk about the geometry around the Hydrogens.

When thinking about molecular geometry, you are trying to systematically model what a molecule may look like in space, hence we say that water adopts a bent geometry instead of saying that the geometry around the Hydrogen (in water) is X.

Hope that helps.

Thank You. got it.

What is the molecular geometry of carbon tetrachloride?

The molecular geometry of carbon tetrachloride is tetrahedral. This means that the central carbon atom is surrounded by four chlorine atoms, each at a 109.5 degree angle from one another.

What is the Lewis structure of carbon tetrachloride?

The Lewis structure of carbon tetrachloride has a central carbon atom bonded to four chlorine atoms, with all atoms having a full octet of electrons. The structure is represented as CCl4.

Why is carbon tetrachloride nonpolar?

Carbon tetrachloride is nonpolar because it has a symmetrical tetrahedral shape and all of the atoms around the central carbon are the same. This results in a balanced distribution of charge and no net dipole moment, making the molecule nonpolar.

What are the intermolecular forces in carbon tetrachloride?

The intermolecular forces in carbon tetrachloride are London dispersion forces. These are the weakest type of intermolecular force and are caused by temporary dipoles in the molecule due to the uneven distribution of electrons.

What are the uses of carbon tetrachloride?

Carbon tetrachloride has been used as a solvent for oils and fats, as a refrigerant, and as a cleaning agent. However, it is now mostly banned due to its harmful effects on the environment and human health.