1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Vector Motion Questions

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Which of the following vectors are collinear with S30W?
    a N60W
    b S30E
    c W30N
    d E30S
    e N30E

Which of these vectors are perpendicular to E20S?
    aN20E
    W20S
    W70S
    N20W
    E70N

How do you know if they're collinear and how do you know if their perpendicular? also, What are the answers to the above questions so that I can verify that I chose the right answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2012 #2
    do you know what collinear and perpendicular mean?

4. Oct 11, 2012 #3
    i have an idea of it but I don't get these. mind answering them? itll give me a better understanding.

5. Oct 11, 2012 #4
    I can't just answer them for you, that's against the rules.

Collinear means that they're on the same line, and so there is 180 degrees between them. Perpendicular means that there's 90 degrees between them.

So what I would do for these problems is draw each one of these vectors starting from the same origin. Then look at the difference between each vector's angle and the angle of the vector in the question; it should tell you if they are collinear or perpendicular.

6. Oct 11, 2012 #5
    If i answer it, can you verify if it's correct or not.
    For 1, I'm pretty sure It's E, N30E because the line of that one is connected to S30W.

For #2, I think the answer is D (N20W) because it looks opposite.

7. Oct 11, 2012 #6
    if you measure the angle between the two vectors then it will tell you precisely whether it is collinear or perpendicular or otherwise

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook