Vector Motion Questions: Collinearity & Perpendicularity Explained with Examples

In summary, to determine if two vectors are collinear or perpendicular, you can draw them starting from the same origin and compare their angles. For the first question, the answer is E, N30E because the angle between it and S30W is 180 degrees. For the second question, the answer is D (N20W) because the angle between it and E20S is 90 degrees.
Vroc

Homework Statement

Which of the following vectors are collinear with S30W?
a N60W
b S30E
c W30N
d E30S
e N30E

Which of these vectors are perpendicular to E20S?
aN20E
W20S
W70S
N20W
E70N

How do you know if they're collinear and how do you know if their perpendicular? also, What are the answers to the above questions so that I can verify that I chose the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
do you know what collinear and perpendicular mean?

i have an idea of it but I don't get these. mind answering them? itll give me a better understanding.

I can't just answer them for you, that's against the rules.

Collinear means that they're on the same line, and so there is 180 degrees between them. Perpendicular means that there's 90 degrees between them.

So what I would do for these problems is draw each one of these vectors starting from the same origin. Then look at the difference between each vector's angle and the angle of the vector in the question; it should tell you if they are collinear or perpendicular.

If i answer it, can you verify if it's correct or not.
For 1, I'm pretty sure It's E, N30E because the line of that one is connected to S30W.

For #2, I think the answer is D (N20W) because it looks opposite.

if you measure the angle between the two vectors then it will tell you precisely whether it is collinear or perpendicular or otherwise

1. What is quick vector motion?

Quick vector motion refers to the movement of an object in a specific direction and at a high speed. It involves both magnitude and direction, and can be represented graphically as an arrow.

2. How is vector motion different from scalar motion?

Vector motion involves both magnitude and direction, while scalar motion only involves magnitude. This means that vector motion takes into account the direction of an object's movement, while scalar motion does not.

3. What is the formula for calculating vector motion?

The formula for calculating vector motion is velocity = displacement / time. This takes into account the distance an object has traveled (displacement) and the time it took to travel that distance.

4. How can I determine the direction of vector motion?

The direction of vector motion can be determined by using a compass or by looking at the direction of the arrow representing the vector on a graph. The arrow always points in the direction of the motion.

5. Can vector motion be negative?

Yes, vector motion can be negative. This occurs when an object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction on a graph. For example, if an object is moving to the left, it will have a negative velocity.