1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick work question

1. Sep 25, 2006 #1
    "a force of 104 N is applied to a 26 kg mass at an angle of 32 degrees to the horoizontal. calculate the work done when the mass is moved through a horizontal distance of 5 m."

my answer is zero because 26kg times 9.8 m/s^2 = 255 N, so a 104N force wouldnt be enough to move it. does that sound right?

~Amy

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Since there is no friction mentioned, the force should move the mass. It is not the same as lifting the mass. In order to lift it, you should have a vertical force which is greater than the weight of the mass. So, the force F = 104 * cos32 is doing work along a distance of 5 m. Unless I'm missing something big here. :biggrin:

4. Sep 25, 2006 #3
    that was my first answer F = 104 * cos32 = 441 J.

i dunno. it just seems like the 26 kg should be included somehow.

can anyone else shed some insight?

~Amy

5. Sep 25, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Maybe they're included to confuse you. :smile:

6. Sep 25, 2006 #5
    k, looks like youre right. thanks for the help!

~Amy

7. Sep 25, 2006 #6
    another question. there's a force displacement graph. (quick vent) i asked the school that im signed up with and they have no idea about the below question :eek:. they have these chat rooms that take for ever to get any help and more than 50% of the time with my questions they are no help at all. today i was lucky and only wasted a half hour waiting (usually it takes an hour or more). but if you send an email they'll give you a good answer, but it takes 5 business days. grrrr...

part a starts at 40N, 0 displacement in m
    then it goes to 40N at 4 m
    =160J

then from 40N it slopes at 60N by 8 m
    = 200J

so the total = 360J

and the question asks "state two possible outcomes of the work (above) being done on the object". im not sure what "possible outcomes" mean.

~Amy

8. Sep 25, 2006 #7

radou

Homework Helper

Could you make a sketch of the diagram and post it on a link?

9. Sep 25, 2006 #8
    i dunno how links work. but i'll try to sketch it here just using typing.

N
    60...................... /
    ..................../
    40------- /

0......2.....4.... 6....8 (displacement in m)

imagine the /s are a straight normal slope..

k, this is the best drawing i can do.

~Amy

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  10. Sep 25, 2006 #9

radou

Homework Helper

Hm, the work should equal the area under the graph, but I don't understand the 'two possible outcomes' part, neither.

11. Sep 25, 2006 #10
    thanks anyways. :smile:

if anyone else can help, it'd be appreciated!

~Amy

12. Apr 2, 2008 #11
    Its because the graph starts from 10N of force instead of 0. which means if you were to count the squares, instead of using the formula W=F*D , you will notice that you are not able to count from 0-10 N because its not included on the graph, thus changing the outcome

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?