Solving the Quintic Equation x^5+ax+b

• Thread starter footmath
  • Start date
In summary, solving the equation x^5+ax+b can be done through numerical approximation or using special functions such as the Jacobi theta function. However, if a and b are not known, it may not be solvable. Furthermore, finding the inverse of the function f(x)=x^5+ax+b may also be difficult and may require knowledge of advanced concepts such as group theory and Galois theory.
footmath
how can i solve this equation :
x^5+ax+b

Physics news on Phys.org
hi footmath! :wink:
footmath said:
x^5+ax+b

guessin, numerical approximation, or bribing the TA …

otherwise, you can't! :smile:

footmath said:
x^5+ax+b

That isn't an equation; it is just an expression. Perhaps you mean find the roots of it or solve the equation x5+ax+b = 0.

Either way you are pretty much out of luck. The quintic equation is not generally solvable although some special cases are. Whether this one is solvable generally or not, I don't know. But if you have a particular equation in mind so you know a and b, you might be able to solve it if you are lucky or you could solve it numerically.

The solutions (real and/or complex) of the quintic equation x5+ax+b = 0 are computed thank to a number of methods of numerical calculus.
Analytical solving is solving is possible in case of some particular values of corfficients a and b.
In the general case, the solutions cannot be expressed in terms of a conbination of a finite number of elementary or usal functions. Special functions are necessary : the solutions can be expessed in terms of Jacobi theta function (which is of no use in practice).

thank you .
what do you think about this equation : x^6+x^2+x=y
if you believe that it can not be Solvable prove it please .

First, would you mind give your precise definition of "Solvable".

Also, does the OP have any experience in group theory? To show a certain quintic is unsolvable requires use of Galois Theory.

footmath said:
thank you .
what do you think about this equation : x^6+x^2+x=y
if you believe that it can not be Solvable prove it please .

If what you mean by "solveable" is to find the roots, then yes, because that particular polynomial factors.

x6+x2+x = x(x2+x+1)(x3-x2+1)

I want inverse of f(x)=x^5+ax+b

footmath said:

If a < 0 the function is not 1-1 and has no single valued inverse. If a > 0, at least it is increasing and has an inverse. But good luck with finding a formula for it.

The solutions (real and/or complex) of the quintic equation x5+ax+b = 0 are computed thank to a number of methods of numerical calculus.
Analytical solving is solving is possible in case of some particular values of corfficients a and b.
In the general case, the solutions cannot be expressed in terms of a conbination of a finite number of elementary or usal functions. Special functions are necessary : the solutions can be expessed in terms of Jacobi theta function (which is of no use in practice).

What is a quintic equation?

A quintic equation is a type of polynomial equation with the highest degree of 5. It is represented in the form of ax^5 + bx^4 + cx^3 + dx^2 + ex + f = 0, where a, b, c, d, e, and f are coefficients and x is the variable.

What is the general solution to a quintic equation?

Unlike quadratic, cubic, and quartic equations, there is no general formula or method to solve a quintic equation. It can only be solved using numerical methods or approximations.

How many solutions can a quintic equation have?

A quintic equation can have a maximum of 5 complex solutions, including repeated solutions. In some cases, it can also have fewer solutions or no real solutions.

What is the relationship between the roots and coefficients of a quintic equation?

The roots of a quintic equation are related to its coefficients through Vieta's formulas. These formulas state that the sum of the roots is equal to -b/a, the product of the roots is equal to -f/a, and the sum of all possible products of roots taken k at a time is equal to (-1)^k * e/a, where a and b are the coefficients of the first and last terms, respectively.

What are some real-life applications of quintic equations?

Quintic equations are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. They can be used to model the trajectory of a projectile, the growth of a population, or the behavior of a chemical reaction. They are also used in optimization problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function.