Quote on icing/superhydrophobic surfaces

In summary, A person standing on a slippery surface will not be picky about using something unpleasant to hold themselves up. This quote can be found in King John by William Shakespeare, and may be relevant to the topic of superhydrophobic surfaces and ice accumulation. However, it is recommended to verify the translation before using it in a Master's thesis.
thephysicsman
Hi,

I'm writing a Master's thesis on superhydrophobic surfaces aimed at preventing ice accumulation, and I'm looking for an appropriate quote to include in my introduction. Any suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
W. Shakespeare said:
He that stands upon a slippery place, makes nice of no vile hold to stay him up.

From King John.

I'm not sure if I understand the quote :P English is not my native language, and Google translate wasn't really helpful in this case...

A person who stands on a slippery place, will not be too fussy about using a vile thing to hold themselves up. If you get a copy of King John by William Shakespeare, transtlated into your language, you will find this quote in act iii scene 4.

OK, thanks. Do you think it's a relevant quote?

thephysicsman said:
OK, thanks. Do you think it's a relevant quote?
I'm pretty sure that you're the only one who can answer that question.

Hierarchical superhydrophobic surfaces that repel water and and reduce the accretion and adhesion of ice.

Alternatively, one could state that "Ice accumulation is a serious safety hazard for aircraft. The presence of ice on airplane surfaces prevents the even flow of air, which increases drag and reduces lift. Ice on wings is especially dangerous during takeoff, when a sheet of ice the thickness of a compact disc can reduce lift by 25 percent or more.", which is found in an article in Spinoff 2007, Tranportation.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20080003912_2008001485.pdf

or find something in the FAA Safety Advisory on Aircraft Icing - www.aopa.org/asf/publications/sa11.pdf

Blade icing would also reduce the performance of wind turbines.

So, the relevance of Shakespeare's quote here is that a body (water droplet) on a slippery (superhydrophobic) surface will "give up" trying to adhere to it?

thephysicsman said:
So, the relevance of Shakespeare's quote here is that a body (water droplet) on a slippery (superhydrophobic) surface will "give up" trying to adhere to it?
If I were you, I would resist the temptation to use this quote without first looking it up in a copy of Shakespeare's King John translated into your own language.

1. How do icing/superhydrophobic surfaces work?

Icing/superhydrophobic surfaces work by utilizing a combination of surface roughness and surface chemistry. The roughness creates air pockets on the surface, which repel water droplets and prevent them from making contact with the surface. Additionally, the surface chemistry of these surfaces is designed to be hydrophobic, meaning it repels water molecules and prevents them from sticking to the surface.

2. What are the benefits of using icing/superhydrophobic surfaces?

The main benefit of using icing/superhydrophobic surfaces is the prevention of ice formation and adhesion. This can be extremely beneficial in industries such as aviation, where icing on aircraft surfaces can be dangerous. These surfaces can also reduce drag and improve the efficiency of water-repellent structures, such as boats or wind turbines.

3. Can icing/superhydrophobic surfaces completely prevent ice formation?

No, icing/superhydrophobic surfaces cannot completely prevent ice formation. They can delay or reduce the amount of ice formation, but eventually, ice will still form on the surface. These surfaces can, however, significantly reduce the adhesion of ice, making it easier to remove.

4. How are icing/superhydrophobic surfaces tested and evaluated?

Icing/superhydrophobic surfaces are tested and evaluated using various methods, such as surface roughness measurements, contact angle measurements, and ice adhesion tests. These surfaces are also tested in real-world conditions to assess their effectiveness in preventing ice formation and adhesion.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using icing/superhydrophobic surfaces?

One potential disadvantage of using icing/superhydrophobic surfaces is the cost of production and maintenance. These surfaces often require specialized materials and processes, which can make them more expensive. Additionally, the surface roughness of these surfaces can also decrease over time, reducing their effectiveness in preventing ice formation.